Bladder Problems

Morning everyone, hope today is not bringing too many problems in our MS world. Any advice on bladder problems and treatments would be appeciated. Apparently I’m not emptying properly. Waiting for an appointment with the Urologist.Don’t like the idea of ISC, very scary! Any observations and advice would be useful. Waiting to hear from you all.

Hi Linda, I do ISC and i reaallllly didn’t fancy it at first, but it’s actually no problem, you very quickly get into a way with it, your continence nurse will guide you through getting started and the freedom and safety net it offers is great, really! I’ve been doing it since March but there’s girls on here been doing it a lot longer …Try seaching the forum, there’s been some good hints, tips and experiences! Jools X

Hi, recently I found out I dont empty properly either. Have my 5th uti this year.

I never tried isc, as there`s too much flesh in the way!

If you do go down that route, I hope it eases your problems.

luv Pollx

Hi Jools and Pollx. Thanks for your input. So many questions buzzing around. Does it hurt, how long does it take, how do you know if your’re doing it right? No doubt the urologist will answer all these questions, but would appreciate input from people who actually have to do it on this site first. Linda x

I’ve been doing ISC for something like two years, after having a scan showing that I was retaining - I think 200 ml of urine. It has made my life a lot better - I was really struggling to take my son to school and get back again without wetting myself. I would have been out of the house for half an hour or something. ISC doesn’t hurt, it takes a bit longer than just going to the loo normally but not that much longer - it takes me just over 5 minutes I should think. I didn’t get many UTIs before I started doing it and I haven’t had many since I did - maybe two. I still have urinary urgency (having to rush to the loo when I need to go) and so still wear pads but I was having lots of accidents (ending up with wet trousers) and now that happens much less.

Hi again.

Just wanted to clear my position up for you.

I`m having a supra pubic catheter fitted on Thursday.

I know that`s not what you want, but hope you find isc makes life easier for you.

pollxx

hi linda

i started to ISC earlier this year. i was horrified at the very idea but it really isnt that bad.

a lady on this board supported me through it.

i do it in the shower in the morning. if i need to do another one i’ll probably use a bag because my balance gets worse later in the day.

i take a maintenance dose of trimethoprim because i was getting loads of UTIs

i also wear a kentera patch to calm my overactive bladder.

there’s loads of options once you get over resisting it.

good luck

carole x

Hi I’ve just been referred for ISC and although it sounds a bit off-putting it has to be better than sitting around with a full bladder wanting to go and being unable to “let go” or waiting until stupid o’ clock to go to bed as you know your bladder is still not empty, that’s how I’m trying to see it anyway. Hope this helps you see it another way. The thought of infection is also a big no-no for me.

To avoid uti’s - D-Mannose is brilliant. Someone on this board mentioned it - so l looked into it and decided to try it. Since then l have got a couple of friends who suffer with recurring uti’s [not ms] to give it a try - and they have found it very successful. Not everyone - likes cranberry juice. D-Mannose is the concentrated form of what ever is in cranberry that helps the bladder. l have a SPC [18yrs] and have not had many uti’s - but since taking the D-Mannose l noticed far less sediment in the catheter - which must be a good sign that the bladder is ‘healthier’. l never got on with self-catheterising - but that was years ago and the new catheters are much improved.

lts much easier for men to find the right place to insert their catheters - for women its more hit or miss. But practise makes perfect - and like most things soon becomes the norm.

I was given a DVD and book on ISC and my continence nurse came to my house while I did it for the first time myself, to see that I was okay, answer questions and see my set up in the bathroom at home, she also gave me a mirror, which I prefer to use, although I know that some girls don’t ! It doesn’t hurt and once you get into the way of it, it’s straighforward, it’s one of these things that the thought of is much worse than the action! Jools X

i’ve been doing ISC for about 5 years now and I have learnt a lot in that time. I had an overactive bladder and a huge retention which I would lose all of a sudden in the most embarrassing places! I dreaded it when it was suggested. I aslo had uti after uti.

Now I wouldn’t be without it. Initially I used a mirror but over time I have learnt to do it without. I have different catheters for different situations - standard catheters give me about 4 hours freedom - compact catheters (about lipstick size) fit in my handbag but only give me about 2 and half hours. But no-one knows I am carrying them around! I rarely have a uti and during the daytime I can manage without a pad if I monitor my bladder with a clock as I have no feeling in that area at all! Unfortunately my bladder doesn’t wake me at nightime so a big pad is a nessecity! I was fitted with a permanent catheter for a while because my legs gave up but I reverted to ISC as soon as I could… If I am desparate I can do it very quickly but have to shorten the time before I do it again. First thing in the morning is longest - it takes me about 10-15 minutes. I sorted my timings out by measuring using a jug and keeping copious notes! - and I know what time I should not drink alcohol after at nightime if I don’t want a wet bed!

Hi Carol I have different plumbing than you. I have been using catheters since the age of 38. I use 5 a day and it has given me the freedom to get out and about. Dont be afraid just make sure that you follow the instructuions of you nurse. Good luck.

Rick

Hi Linda I have different plumbing from you. I have been using catheters since the age of 38. I use 5 a day and it has given me the freedom to get out and about. Dont be afraid please, just make sure that you follow the instructuions of you nurse. Good luck.

Rick

Hi Linda I have different plumbing from you. I have been using catheters since the age of 38. I use 5 a day and it has given me the freedom to get out and about. Dont be afraid please, just make sure that you follow the instructuions of you nurse. Good luck.

Rick