Birdsong.

Hello good people.

It may not seem very significant, it may even seem trite, but one great advantage of going out on a mobility scooter is that I can actually hear the singing of the birds. Last Wednesday I heard a chiff chaff. I’m now trying to recognise the calls of our more common species.

http://songbird-survival.org.uk/dawnchorusday.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwiq-oBRC9gvHCsvDdn2cSJACV3DFRrCjo0qdn1E2-zJR1tu6e414jSOHb9jako32tftn7KBoCi8zw_wcB

After years of driving and not getting out and about it is a true pleasure to hear it once more.

Oh the little things.

Best wishes. Steve

Birdsong wakes me at dawn every morning, I love it. So alive XX

1 Like

Indeed. How empty the world would be, without birdsong. The Blackbird’s, both joyful and melancholy at the same time. The Wren’s, so cheerful, and amazingly loud for the size of the bird! And the moorland birds - the Curlew, the Lapwing, the Golden Plover…

1 Like

Steve I agree, I love listening to the birds, gives so much pleasure.

Pam x

I love listening and watching birds. I sit at the back window watching their antics and have so many photographs. It’s a real joy for me. DON

Thanks Steve, that’s a great site!

Nina x

Only know blackbirds and crow songs. First so uplifting, the second one plaintiff as if lamenting life. Ppms maybe? Love Sue x

Getting out on a scooter is a life-line to me. l have a Tramper, all-terrain scooter,so l can get out over the fields and woods on it with my dogs. Sometimes l never see another person - and another, like today, in the lovely spring sunshine, l met several other dog walkers. My dogs love meeting up with other dogs and people - as long as the other dogs are friendly! Up until a year ago l was still able to ride my horse. But since a hip replacement and a knee replacement [knee op has gone very wrong] l no longer feel safe to ride. So l shall miss getting right up into the woods to see the bluebells this year. lts the skylarks l love to listen to - can’t see them but can hear them. We have a lot of Buzzards now - and they make quite a screechy noise. When riding my horse through the woods - we could get so close to other wildlife - as they do not see a horse as a threat. Have seen badgers/muntjac/deer/polecats/loads of pheasants/partridge [tonights dinner]

l go out every day - whatever the weather - even snow and ice. And l pick up as much of the take-away stuff that drivers throw out of their vehicles.

lf you haven’t a scooter - do think about getting one. l have a small fold up one to put in the car - but l rarely use it. l do not go around shops - always hated shopping. But l do have a trailer that l can put my Tramper on to take on outings - Ploughing Matches - Country Game Fairs etc.

Hello spacejacket.

I also have a Tramper. It’s brilliant. It made a real difference to last year’s holiday in Wales. I use it on the nearby Ashdown Forest. I’ve only tipped over the once. Unfortunately I haven’t ridden a horse for over 12 years.

Best wishes, Steve.

Steve, Taken on two rescue donkeys - they came on Saturday. Mother and son - he is one year old and has been gelded. We have put them in separate paddocks to try and wean him off his mum - she has had enough of him l think. We have put our old cob in with him for company - and they all can talk to one another over the rails. l get over to them on my Tramper - and they have already got used to it. They raced around at first - so delighted to be in a lovely field of grass. We have de-liced and wormed them. Seem to enjoy all the attention.

The seagulls wake me up every morning in bonny Bridlington and I love it.

I make myself a cuppa, then sit and watch them through the window performing their aerial displays-just for me yah knows

We live in a first floor flat so I get a good view. It’s actually very relaxing

xx

I can’t wait for the weather to be warm enough to have the bedroom window open so we can hear the birds. I learned all the common bird song when I was a kid, and am still thrilled by it. Knowing the song is wonderful, because you can identify all the birds in the area without needing to see them. And I still get “what on earth is that??” moments.

Sadly, I am losing the top end of my hearing, something I’ve only recently allowed myself to notice. I’m sort of hoping this is the reason I wasn’t hearing as much birdsong around here last spring as we’ve been used to. Maybe they are still here, I just need to listen harder!

Give me a mistle thrush perched high up on a tree yelling his head off on a wet and cloudy afternoon. Special.

Kev

ps Steve, love the avatar!

Thought I would share this site with you all - it’s one I love. You can listen to practically any bird sound from just about anywhere in the world:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/

My favourite is the Great Northern Diver…

I also like the Screaming Piha - that bird that you often hear in nature programmes about rainforest!

That’s a brilliant site Lapwing. I’ve book marked it thanks!

Nina x