been referred for mri , possible ms diagnosis

Hi, I have just registered. I was at my gp’s surgery today. I have been having speech problems for the past year but although I mentioned it to my doctor last year in passing , I just put it down to stress/anxiety. Anyway, recently it has got worse and last week as I was getting out of bed my right leg just gave way under me for no reason. I had no pins or needles or ‘dead leg’ . It gave me a fright so I knew I couldn’t ignore it any longer. My gp did a series of basic tests this morning eg reflex , eyes , balance. My right side balance seems to be affected. She has referred me for a ct scan initially but she did say that my symptoms could point to ms. I told her I have days where I feel extreme fatigue and walking just a short distance can be a major effort. I didn’t mention because quite simply, I forgot, that a few times a week I also get internal and external tremors and occasionally I get a ‘buzzing’ on my tongue and lower lip and sharp needle like pain on my cheek (usually left) .

I would not be surprised if her diagnosis is correct because I have been thinking the same recently but chose to ignore it in the hope that I was overthinking it and it would go away. Can anyone here relate to these symptoms and will the ct scan alone be able to show I have ms? Do I get injected with dye for the brain scan or is it just like an xray? Quite nervous about the scan to be honest as I have hospital phobia and claustrophobia. How soon after the scan do you normally get the results? So many questions…

As far as I’m aware CT scan will not show ms , I believe you are getting it because one side is affected so they have to rule out stroke/brain tumour .

Next step would be MRI and neurologist app. The CT is nothing to worry about it doesn’t cover all of you just your head and your in & out in 10 minutes.

good luck

Thanks. She has referred me for a ct scan as well as neurologist. She said I will be seen quicker for the ct scan as it can take a while to get seen by a neurologist. I assumed the ct scan was to detect ms but i think you are probably right. It makes sense. Showing my ignorance there. She did say to start a daily diary of all my symptoms so that the neurologist can get an idea of what’s happening when i do eventually get an appointment but if I got worse to see her straight away.

I’m 12 weeks down the line since my symptoms started although I can recall symptoms going back years…I’m still feeling the effects 12 weeks later of what they call a relapse … The gps have told me they suspect ms but I don’t know , CT was clear MRI was done three weeks ago will get results on Tuesday at neurologist app it sure where it goes from there only had brain and neck done I think it will be clear and I possibly have lesions on my spine so I presume another MRI but will have to wait & see I’m left with poor mobility which is getting on my nerves!!!

Good luck with your results on Tuesday. Likewise I have had symptoms going back a number of years although it’s only recently that I started to pay more attention to them. I started having double vision two years ago and was told it was eye muscle weakness but putting everything together I am wondering if this could be one of my major symptoms. I have had a bad couple of days yesterday and today. Muggy head, Speech has been terrible, stuttering, dropping sounds, missing out words… Feeling low and lethargic although on the plus side, my legs have been good today and no balance issues. I slept most of this afternoon and my speech has been great since then. Hoping tomorrow is better. I hope you get the answers and help with your symptoms soon.

Guess MRI’s will be requested based on your symptoms, as different symptoms will indicate where lesions are likely to be. It’s difficult to diagnose MS and they will need to do various tests to rule out other possible diagnoses. It is a good idea to keep a diary and is something I’ve been meaning to do. Having said this I do make up a list of symptoms for each and every medical appointment and keep a copy. It’s difficult being in limbo and so much easier once a diagnosis is made, as then at least you know what you are dealing with and can get help. Just take one day at a time. Whatever the outcome life will and does go on.

Hi Guys, I’m new here too. I have been living with similar symptoms for years, as long as I can remember. Ranging from fatigue, loss of balance, my legs giving way twitching and restless legs etc. I work a fairly physical job and put this all down to me being overweight and getting on, I am nearly 41 now.

Last month the vision in my right eye went really blurry. I first assumed it was the scratch on my glasses lens, then that my vision had worsened. I visited the optician and realised the issue was not an issue with my prescription. They referred me to the hospital and fortunately I have private medical insurance through work and I saw an Ophthalmologist the following week who diagnosed me with Optic Neuritis. This was when MS was first mentioned. She booked me in for an MRI Scan and once they did that at the follow up appointment she gave me the good news that I didn’t have a brain tumour however she was referring me to the neurologists as she thought it was MS. The following week we met the neurologist and after a few simple tests and discussion about symptoms he confirmed I had MS.

When they told me on one hand I was now on a new path into the unknown and I am completely unaware if and when anything else is going to happen, but on the other hand I felt a sense of relief that there was a reason behind all the previous symptoms I have and that I was not just being ‘soft’ ha ha.

I will be taking things step by step but am just wanting to get back to work and be able to drive again and do the things I take fro granted. I have an appointment with the Occupational Health team at work tomorrow and will be seeing my GP this week to go through my next steps regarding treatment and care.

Hi nshaw75. Sounds like the wheels are moving fast for you. Good luck with you appointments next week. Let us know how you get on. Take care. :slight_smile:

Thanks Daffodils, thanks, I am very lucky in my employer is being very supportive and they provide a private health care policy for us too So things have progressed very quickly since I have had the optic neuritis.

Since my diagnosis thought I have been thinking of symptoms which I have had in years gone by and wondered was this linked? I have had my appointment with the nurse from work and they have got me to write a diary and log the excercise and activities I have been doing and also to log the symptoms and things so I can understand the condition more. I will see my GP tomorrow and discuss meeting an MS Nurse too.

Hope things are going well for you

Hi nshaw , I am doing a daily diary too. Like you, I have been thinking back to roughly when all this started. The main thing was the double vision which started two or so years ago but I have had tremors for a lot longer than that. All my previous symptoms could be attributed to menopause and I have always said “oh it will be my hormones” but when my speech started to be affected and my leg gave way , I couldn’t ignore it or blame it on hormones any more. My speech was terrible at the weekend but today I have been good and I have had plenty energy too. I gave my house a good clean. Hope I won’t be paying for it tomorrow. x

I work in a physical job, working twelve hour continental shifts. The majority of the symptoms I put down to having a hard day at work and getting old. I have just put up with it for years. When my sight went it was a bit scary because, although my eyes are bad, I knew that something was wrong. Luckily I was able to be fast tracked through BUPA and was diagnosed within a month. Whilst I have been off I have tried to keep active, but when the weather has been bad I really couldn’t be bothered to get out. I am only really feeling the same as I have prior to my diagnosis and am just hoping this is the worst it’s going to get. Fingers crossed

Can I ask what your tests involved with the neurologist? I am very phobic when it comes to hospitals, medication etc so worried it may latterly involve mri with dye.

Initially hey did the MRI with the dye, and it is quite daunting especially if you are claustrophobic. I didn’t really enjoy it but just tried to blank it out. I think this was almost all they needed to see but the neurologist tested by balance, similar to the sobriety tests people do when drinking and also the hammer on my funny bone etc type tests. He also checked my eyes and how they moved and responded to light.

I too have had phobias with needles, dentists etc but as I have got older I have somehow managed to conquer these fears just by mentally telling myself “Seriously, what is the worst that can happen?” I was a bit apprehensive myself but he really put me at ease and I came out the office surprisingly upbeat. So I hope you can feel the same too.

Initially hey did the MRI with the dye, and it is quite daunting especially if you are claustrophobic. I didn’t really enjoy it but just tried to blank it out. I think this was almost all they needed to see but the neurologist tested by balance, similar to the sobriety tests people do when drinking and also the hammer on my funny bone etc type tests. He also checked my eyes and how they moved and responded to light.

I too have had phobias with needles, dentists etc but as I have got older I have somehow managed to conquer these fears just by mentally telling myself “Seriously, what is the worst that can happen?” I was a bit apprehensive myself but he really put me at ease and I came out the office surprisingly upbeat. So I hope you can feel the same too.

Hi, I had the ct scan and it came back fine but a few days later I saw the neurologist who tested my balance , reflexes, eyes, hands, feet, the works. Afterwards she said there was clearly something wrong and she said she thought it likely I had brain inflammation. When I asked her what that meant exactly, she said MS. She thinks it is relapse/remission. Anyway, to cut a long story short I now have to go for an MRI to check for lesions and based on the results of that, possibly a lumbur puncture too. Since my first post here in June my symptoms have progressed but they vary from day to day. I can have no leg pain one day and can hardly walk the next. I get pins and needles everywhere. My speech is still ‘off’ although like everything else it can vary from day to day. I noticed my symptoms are more pronounced when I am tired. I saw my GP this morning because my eyes are very dry and scratchy so I got some drops for that. So now I am just waiting for my MRI appointment. Don’t know if it will involve contrast dye, hoping it won’t.

Hi, Daffodils, I hope the MRI gives you a result that will help you. It should clear things up. It was really what the neurologist who saw me used for my diagnosis. I am managing to cope with amitriptyline and when the pains get excessive I’ll have a couple of codeine. I have found that the amount of pain and fatigue comes and goes and not necessarily after more strenuous excercise. I am going back to work in 2 weeks so that will be the real test.

Hi nshaw, I know what you are saying about pain. A couple of weeks ago I climbed a flight of about ten stairs and the following day my left leg felt as if it had been kicked by a horse which was odd because it’s my right leg that is the weakest. I hope you get on ok when you go back to work. Is it a staged return? Will you get support?

I’ve read all your symptoms and am really worried, I had my daughter 9 years ago and was concerned when epidural wore off of a strange sensation in my bottom, reduced sensation, heavy, stinging sensation.

I developed a cold sensation a week or so later rolling down my back.

I was referred straight to neurologist and have had several clear Mri scans over the years.

I remain under a neurologist for the symptoms above and also severe back pain, stings to sit down.Im tired all the time and have recently started with severe muscle pains in legs and upper back.My memory is awful and suffer to find words which is really frustrating!

Fibromyalgia has also been mentioned recently!

I’ve tried pregabalin,Gabapentin,they made me unsteady and unable to drive.Any ideas???

Hi everyone, I have had fibromyalgia for the past ten years, which has been getting worse and leaving me bed bound. Then two weeks ago I started having double vision, which is still happening now. I cannot state how good the eye casualty department were, and after seeing two doctors, I had a CT scan. The nurse rang back the following day and I am now awaiting to see a neurologist and have an MRI scan. The more I have looked into MS symptoms, I am wondering was I diagnosed correctly all those years ago? I remember at the time the doctor was very quick and rude, but I can say my symptoms are more like MS. I am having pins and needles, double vision, bladder problems, severe pain, headaches have just started with my double vision, and putting my words together and my speech is getting worse as I stutter and slur. I feel very lonely and scared as my family is not at all sympathetic.