BBC News Article linking genes and Vit D deficiency to MS

No, 25 micrograms of Vit. D (I assume you do mean micrograms - the funny symbol - µ - not milligrams?) is almost certainly not enough.

Even I take more than double that (2x25 micrograms + a few extra micrograms as part of other supplements), and my Vitamin D supplementation is “modest” by the standards of most other devotees.

The conversion factor is 1 IU (international unit) = 0.025µg

Therefore 25µg (the dose you’re on…I think?) would be 1000 IU.

Hi Tina,

Thank you for clarifying this i.u. v m.g. situation. I shall now have to fetch down my huge box of suplements and do lots of chin scratching to try and decipher if I am actually taking enough!

Moira

Hi again Moira,

To confuse things further, the conversion is different for different vitamins!

The one I’ve said is ONLY for Vitamin D.

So it won’t help you work out about B12, or Omega 3, or anything else.

But I think D (specifically D3) is likely to be the most critical one, for MS.

I also take the others, but only a “routine” dose, in case I was accidentally deficient. I don’t get too hung up over exact doses, with those. I’ve no idea what the recommendation even is!

Tina

From what I understand, the people who should be making sure they have sufficient levels of Vit D are pregnant women, in order to protect their unborn children. I just wish this had been known when I was expecting my children :frowning:

B x

Thats a silly thing for her to say, have a long read of what all the different D’s do and why they are important even for adults.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

lts these sort of comments that make me glad l do not have a ‘ms nurse’. Surely, its up to them to keep up with all the latest research that has been for everyones benefit. l am with Bouncy - l too wish l had known about vitd3 deficiency before l became pregnant - 30 yrs ago. This is when my ms started.

l certainly makesure my family and friends all take a highdose supplement.

The consultant neuro in charge of the rehab hospital in Warwick thinks drinking milk gives us enough vitd. What a plonker!!!

Once again - Save us from the so-called experts.

Hi Everyone,

I also take Vitamin D3 tablets which I get from my doctor on prescription, they are huge but chewable, they taste vile but are gone quickly. I take them as I have got Lupus and osteoporosis as well as MS. Also have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have weekly injections of Methotrexate along with 3 monthly infusions of Pamidronate which is how I found out that my vit’ D level was far, far to low… Had to have a booster dose of Vit’ D before I could have the infusion and now have to have my vit’ D level checked every 3 months. To be honest I don’t feel any different at all.

Janet x

[/quoteHi Anna,

l get mine via amazon Healthy Origins in 5.000ius or 10.000ius they come in pots of 360 softgels - l think about £15 for a years supply. l also use a sunbed to give me a boost occasionally. Our bodies absorb about 20.000ius in 15mins in bright sunshine [naked of course]. Our vet [a handsome young man] has been working in Australia - he said he suffers from psoriasis - which cleared up all the time he was in the sun. Now he is back here he is taking Vitd3. And he also uses the oil in the softgels to put on his skin. l also have psoriasis [another auto-immune disease linked with ms and vitd deficiency] which is why l use the sun-bed.

F.

[/quote]

Hi F,

Thanks for the info on where to get the pills from.

Tc

Anna x