B12

Hi MSers

I am due to have my B12 injection on Thursday but have been told it won’t be happening for probably 6 months. If I have concerns that this will have an impact on my health then I can ask for a blood test and if my B12 levels have dropped then maybe I would be able to have one.

has anyone had problems like this?

with thanks

Micha

Hi, yes dozens and dozens of people are having troubles like this. Myself included. Many have been told to accept tablet form of B12 but if you have Pernicious Anemia you will not be able to absorb oral b12. IF you have dietary deficiency you may possibly get a very small benefit from tablets. Many, in fact hundreds of us are buying our own supplies and self injecting. Some with gp blessings most like me without. IF you have been having injections then you will not show as low in a blood test for ages, by then you will be ill and have a long road to get back to where you are now. I was forced onto oral tablets a few yrs ago so believe me I do know how ill you could become. If you also have MS as I assume you do the neurological symptoms will be the first to get worse. I suggest you have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society. If you can afford to join it is well worth it. Best Wishes Ellie

Ellie, thank you very much for your reply. You are right I don’t absorb it. I will look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society. Didn’t know you could buy it. I know you can get tablets. Stay safe. Best wishes MIchelle x

I know that for some it is difficult to get vit B12 injection , but I have been lucky as my practice is still giving them to some patients , others are being changed to tablets , I don’t know what criteria they are using for who gets what .

It is scandalous to play around with people, s health this way. If patients didn’t need injections why were they ever given. This is going to have massive impact on people’s health and wellbeing and I cannot understand why most doctors are ignoring the very real threat of permanent neurological damage to those who cannot absorb b12 from food or oral supplements. The only time doctors learn seems to be if they themselves or a loved one need the treatment.