ataxia

Hello everyone,

I have had MS for thirty years - since I was at school, so no wonder I am feeling pretty battered by it. I saw my MS nurse this week and she said that the reason why I have been feeling progressively worse these recent years, is because I now have ataxia. I had never even heard of this, but she says that many people with MS develop it bad enough to warrant action. But what surprised me even more, was to hear that there are treatments for this. Is anyone else on the forum having to put up with ataxia, and if so can they recommend or warn against any of the medication that might be offered for this? Thank you for any ideas.

Moira

I’ve just had to look up ataxia since I didn’t know what it was. This is what the NHS say: Ataxia - NHS

In brief, it says: ‘Ataxia is a term for a group of disorders that affect co-ordination, balance and speech.’

and:

Any part of the body can be affected, but people with ataxia often have difficulties with:

• balance and walking
  • speaking
  • swallowing
  • tasks that require a high degree of control, such as writing and eating
  • vision

To be honest, it sounds like something that to some extent most or many of us with MS have/get/develop. Although some people get ataxia from other causes or in fact as a hereditary disorder all on its own.

Is yours any different to this Moira?

Sue

Hello Sue,

You are right of course. MS tends to batter us all. It just seems to surprise me now because I seem to have slid into another state. I will be really intrigued to see what (if anything) this new medication will do when I receive it. Wish me luck! Thanks for getter back to me.

Moira