Are we more susceptible to "nervy" things?

Are we more susceptible to “nervy” things?

Hi all,

I was diagnosed PPMS in 2011 and have never really questioned my diagnosis.

However in 2017 (Christmas Eve!) I developed Bell’s Palsy which with time got better.

In August 2019 I developed horrendous double vision and couldn’t function safely without a patch. This improved and I haven’t used my patch since November. It was classed as 6th nerve palsy.

On Thursday Bell’s Palsy returned. The most annoying thing is no sense of taste on the left hand side. Looks like all the chocolate I got for Christmas will have to wait to be eaten.

So, my question is are we more susceptible to nervy things or have these been relapses?

Just after people’s thoughts.

Thanks,

Sarah

Good question, which I dont have the exact answer.

However, as MS effects our nervous system I would guess that we could well be susceptible to other “nervy” conditions ?

I get terrible altered sensation on the palms and finger tips of my hands which is definitely linked to my MS as it gets worse when my mobility gets worse, my point is that mobility and touch are not fed by the same nerves, yet the MS has effected both parts of the nervous system that carry signals to these areas.

It’s the same with bloating, many people with MS suffer from bloating, but you wouldn’t think that MS could effect us in this way, but it can.

So therefore I can definitely see that MS might bring on Bell’s Palsy.

I’m not suggesting that Bell’s is one of the symptoms of MS, but perhaps MS can trigger it via a disruption of the nervous system ?

I think would agree with jactac. We are probably more likely to have problems with thing to do with our nerves as ms attacks our nerves.I have really bad pins and needles in my hands and also suffer from tremors which I know are caused by nerve damage.

Interesting question. MS is ‘traditionally’ blamed for pins and needles - altered sensations - mobility - visual - bowel/urine issues. I have often wondered if m.s. can affect say the digestive system or our mental state etc.

Yes MS can affect digestive system and mental state. MS often slows the digestive process down, thus causing problems with bowels. Equally, it can affect brains, causing mental disorders. Obviously depression, memory trouble, cognitive problems (ie organising thoughts or dealing with complex information or competing information) or mild cognitive impairment for example.

I suspect MS can be a root cause, or contributory factor for a great many other conditions, or for different areas of the body. It’s only when you come to look them up, or speak to a doctor that you realise MS can be a factor.

Sue

Thanks for all your comments. I emailed my MS nurse and asked her the same question. She didn’t know the answer and asked my neurologist who has decided he wants to see me - tomorrow! Cant’ fault their service!
I’ll let you know what he says.

Sarah

A few years ago I was declared to be SPMS after years of being RR. I didn’t seem to have relapsed for years (about 5 or 6 following a really big horrible one). Then had 2 relapses in a year. And the first of these was definitely a relapse, I had an MRI on the day it started. I also recognised that it was a relapse on that day, had my wee tested and was infection clear so started steroids. The MRI showed current inflammation and the steroids worked.

So after years, my RR had become SP, then RR again, now it’s been quiescent since about September 2017. So I assume SP again?

Or maybe MS just does what the hell it wants, whenever it wants, regardless of labels? Is it possible that you’ve actually been PP for all those years then suddenly RR? Surely they are completely different MS streams? You’d be more likely to have been somewhere on the RR/SP spectrum?

Bizarre isn’t the word for it. Otherwise as you say, MS has suddenly (in the last couple of years) invited some nerve related ‘mates’ to come and play games with you!

Sue (Sorry Sarah, brain not playing nice in my first post, else I’d have posted what I did, plus this!)

1 Like

Well, I saw my neurologist yesterday and he decided that the Bell’s Palsy is nothing to do with my MS. Apparently the fact that I have lost the sense of taste and I have a pain behind my ear means it’s just the nerve rather than to do with the brain. He ordered some blood tests to make sure nothing else is going on and prescribed some eye drops. I just hve to be patient and hope it goes away quickly!

Sarah