Forum

Are antibiotics the answer?

I started antibiotics earlier this week are they the answer or the cause of my days disaster?

http://disableddon.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/are-antibiotics-answer.html

Read my disabled Don blog to almost find the answer, I will continue the post when I get out of bed but read my first instalment.

Don

1 Like

Hi DON

Anti biotics can upset a tummy, so I think that could be the problem, perhaps you should try a different anti biotic, and see if it helps.

Pam x

1 Like

Hell’s bells, what gripping description of an absolutely appalling situation. I really hope you’ve recovered a bit, Don.

I don’t think anyone who hasn’t been in a situation like this can really appreciate the emotions that you go through. It is such an awful sensation when you soil yourself, and as you describe, if you are in anway disabled, getting cleaned up is a long, slow, smelly and painful process.

When I reach that exhausted, frozen state where I have to go to bed, I always ask for a warm hot water bottle, i.e. not too hot to hold, just really warm, and I cuddle it to me. I find that (plus duvet and pain killers, as you say) really soothes me.

2 Likes

Don you should win a bloody prize… not only for putting up with all that but for writing about so well. Well really Heather and you should both win a prize.

Hope you did get warmed up.

I’m off to bed myself now… watching the Scandi drama at 9pm. Crimes of Passion.

Take care Don… hope that blog is posted on Twitter. Will definitely give you a retweet.

Have a good night & hope tummy clears up.

Pat xx

I tweeted it straight from the blog Don.

Angelina Joli will see it. She’s following me. She finds tweeters who are disabled and follows them… so of course I follow her too. I thought it was a joke at first but it’s really her.

Was a bit miffed I didn’t get an invite to her wedding to Brad Pitt !!!

Pat xx

1 Like

I would have been washing my hair had she asked me

2 Likes

Oh Don you write so well. I really sympathized with you as I’ve been there but fortunately not very often. It is awful and so humiliating but unfortunately there’s no real prevention.

Antibiotics can definitely give you a bad tummy, both diarrhoea and just looser stool with no or very little warning, but I know from all my visits to the hospital recently that the winter tummy bug Noro Virus is a huge problem where we are so I doubt very much it’s isolated in South Cumbria.

I hope you’re feeling better now and have had chance to recover. Take care of yourself and your wonderful Heather deserves a lovely bunch of flowers or a massive bar of chocolate.

Cath xx

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having with your bowels Don-must be distressing for you and Heather.

Do you eat plain Yoghurt Don? we used to give it to patients on the sugical ward, who needed antibiotic therapy…helps balance the gut flora.

Hope things imrove soon.

Take care, Noreen x

2 Likes

Good one Don. Must remember that if she asks me to Xmas party…

Pat xx

Thanks folks,

No Nooren I thought that yogurt would counter the antibiotics and have always wanted to give it the best chance maybe I should try some.

Don

1 Like

Quite the opposite Don, must be plain live yoghurt though.

2 Likes

Thanks Noreen it’s on the shopping list for tomorrow Heather is my personal shopper so trip to Tesco is high on the to do list.

X Don

1 Like