Anyone in a wheelchair tried swimming?

Hi,

Wondered if anyone who is in a wheelchair has tried swimming? I doubt I would be able to swim these days but sure the weightlessness and trying to get the legs moving a bit would help.

I know the local council do disabled swims with hoists etc . Not normally suffering from a lack of confidence but fearing the unknown on this one!

Wondered if anybody has any positive or negative experiences!

Ta

Hi

I haven’t tried it myself but I think Poll (MS43) goes swimming and uses a hoist so she may be able to ease your concerns. I’ll let her know you are asking in case she misses your post. It would be good to get some exercise.

:wink: Mary

The title of your post fed right into a conversation I was having earlier today. We were chatting about people who abseil in wheelchairs – it seems a stupid use of an expensive wheelchair, crashing it into the side of a mountain. Anyway this led on to people who jump out of aeroplanes IN their wheelchairs. My friends roared with laughter and said I must have been drunk when I read it ….but no, there’s photographic evidence (I Googled) Then I read your post and immediately thought of you labouring up and down the pool with your wheelchair on our back.

I’m sorry to be frivolous but it just made me laugh. I think Mary’s right about Poll going to the pool I’m sure that she will give you the ins and outs.

Jane

Hi, yes as others have said, I do go swimming sometimes. Not so much now, as it is getting more and more difficult to feel safe and enjoy the experience.

When I do go now, I need 2 carers to get me ready, then dressed. The changing room has a hoist and there is also a hoist to get me in/out of the water. I now need 2 people to help me move my legs and keep me from drowning! I use a woggle…a long foam sausage and place it across my chest and under my arms. But for some unknown reason, I keep flipping sideways and then I panic.

So, hun, Im sorry if this has put you off.........its just how it happens to me these days. I did enjoy going swimming both before and after I became disabled. If you do go, make sure you are safe, yeh?

luv Pollx

Liked your reply Jane, I was thinking the same after I posted it! Although I was thinking of me still in the wheelchair and propelling along the bottom of the pool!!!

Thanks for the info Poll, yes it is the hassle of getting changed etc that is putting me off, unless I just turn up in my speedoes! Hmm will give it some more thought, maybe some of these exercises classes based in the wheelchair maybe easier.

Liked your reply Jane, I was thinking the same after I posted it! Although I was thinking of me still in the wheelchair and propelling along the bottom of the pool!!!

Thanks for the info Poll, yes it is the hassle of getting changed etc that is putting me off, unless I just turn up in my speedoes! Hmm will give it some more thought, maybe some of these exercises classes based in the wheelchair maybe easier.

My husband used to take people wheelchair abseilling and they made him try it first…he has never been so scared in his life!!

The youngsters loved it,they very rarely ever get the ‘thrill’ of doing something that feels frightening and risky,I would rather be a boring adult!!!

As far as the swimming goes Schoey you will never know til you try. The benefits may outweigh the cons.

One thing I would say though is to go first and check out the changing rooms for space and temperature,as you know what your physical needs are and how you will react to the temp.

If you do go look carefully at what you wear so they are the easiest things to get in and out of…especially when when coming out.

Also many pools have equipment to get you in and out and pool staff are often inexperienced in how to use it,so check its suitable for your needs and in working order.

Can you tell I used to risk assess swimming facilities!!!

Go on give it a try

Pip