Any alternatives...?

Are there any other options for neuropathic pain medications other than the usual suspects of
Gabapentin / Pregabalin / Amitriptyline / Duloxetine?

These seem to be the only 4 ever mentioned in relation to nerve pain. The first one kind of works but is a b***** for weight gain, and the other three just made me feel very unwell.

Is it really a choice between putting on undesirable amounts of weight or feeling so unwell that the cure is worse than the problem?

Yes, there are other medications that can be used to treat neuropathic pain, beyond the four you mentioned. Here are a few other options:

1. Tricyclic antidepressants: In addition to amitriptyline, other tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline and desipramine may be effective in treating neuropathic pain.
  2. Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs): In addition to duloxetine, other SNRIs such as venlafaxine and milnacipran can also be used to treat neuropathic pain.
  3. Topical medications: Some topical medications, such as lidocaine patches or capsaicin cream, can be applied directly to the affected area to help relieve pain.
  4. Opioids: While not typically a first-line treatment for neuropathic pain due to their potential for addiction and side effects, opioids may be considered for patients who do not respond to other treatments.
  5. Anticonvulsants: In addition to gabapentin and pregabalin, other anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine and lamotrigine may also be effective in treating neuropathic pain.

It’s important to work closely with your healthcare provider to find the medication or combination of medications that work best for you, while minimizing side effects. They may also recommend non-pharmacological approaches, such as physical therapy or cognitive behavioral therapy, to help manage your pain.

1 Like

I use cannabis for pain with a Vaporiser because I don’t smoke, it’s amazing for pain but I have tried CBD Oil which helped with pain but for me cannabis is better to control pain

1 Like

I can vouch for capsaicin cream for stabbing neuropathic pain. It worked as well as carbamazepine but without knocking me sideways. The one the GP prescribed was called Axsain, I think. It’s a topical rather than systemic so no side effects beyond having to be careful to keep it away from sensitive parts on account of it’s made of :hot_pepper:.

1 Like