Forum

Another newbie with questions

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks and see that this is a very warm and helpful community. Thanks already for all the good information.

Well, after typing a very long intro to my situation, I somehow managed to delete it all! I hate it when that happens! Anyway, I’ll try again. For the past 6 years or so, I’ve had some strange on-again-off-again symptoms that were making feel a bit like a hypochondriac. I seem to be a regular at my GPs for one reason or another and my husband is always asking me how I am feeling, out of habit. I’ve been putting my issues down to being rundown from having 2 small children (4 and 2). About 7 weeks ago, I began having numbness/tingling in my left side, mainly abdominal. I went to my GP and she ordered a full round of bloods (about 10 viles!!) and all came back normal. She referred me to a neurologist and my appointment was made for mid October. A few weeks ago, I had two really bad episodes of back pain, the second sending me to the GP. He thought maybe the back pain and numbness were related and not being happy with such a wait for the neuro, he called the neuro while I was in the office. The neuro said to come in that day. I went in and he did all the various relfex tests and such and had me go down and get an MRI on my spine. The MRI was clear but I had a definite plantar (Babinski) reflex in my left foot. He seemed to think something neurological was going on so he ordered an MRI on my brain which will happen 1 Oct. He told me to keep the original neuro appointment in mid October, so hopefully they’ll be able to get my results for my MRI that day. Since this, I’ve had severe headaches, constipation, back ache, stiffness, weakness, fatigue, and now a UTI. As soon as I think I’m feeling a bit better, something else pops up.

I’m doing my best not to jump to conclusions and be patient, but as I have read in this forum, I wouldn’t be alone if I didn’t. I did have one other symptom, that I’m not sure as any relevence. I have strange, red rash-like patches on my legs. They look like tiny little pin pricks and they keep cropping up every month or so. The first is about a year old and they range from about 1 cm in diameter to 4-5cm. I haven’t read anything like this in relation to MS, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Forgot to mention the heat intolerance. It’s driving me crazy! Thank goodness for cooler weather on its way. If it’s hot, I suddenly begin to boil and the tingling/numbness gets really bad. I keep forgetting to tell the doctor this and this is one of my biggest complaints. Not sure I can forget!

I also wanted to question the where I have the numbness. I haven’t actually read anything about numbness in the abdominal area. Mine is on my left side, on the side of my stomach and can creep up my arms or down my legs a bit, but it’s mainly in the abdominal. Just wondering if that’s common.

Welcome to the forum jewel, Ms has many mimics and it’s best not to jump to any conclusions. Stress is every bad for ms if that is what it is, so best to stay calm and go along with the neuro. Let us know how you get on, Chis

Hi Jewel and welcome As Chris says, there are many conditions with same symptoms as MS and of course impossible for anyone on here to tell you if it’s MS or not.

Your symptoms are MS-like and I’m glad to hear you have a neurologist who’s taking your symptoms seriously. By going for an MRI on your brain you are absolutely on the right track to see if it’s MS or not.

When you next see the neuro, tell him/her about the rash on your legs. That would not typically be an MS symptom but it might be useful info for the neuro.

Regarding the numbness, yes I get numbness in my abdominal region and with MS you can get numbness anywhere.

I know how frustrating it is, but you’re going to have to play the waiting game. It can often take some time to get a dx for MS or for other neuro conditions.

IF it does turn out to be MS, it really is NOT the end of the world. You will find people in all walks of life with MS and living full lives, working, having relationships, sex, babies, holidays, etc etc. It sometimes has a bigger impact but you know life can still be good… just maybe a bit different to what was planned.

Hang on in there and best of luck,

Pat x