An unexpected UTI

Hello

I do Intermittant Self Catheterisation. A couple of weekds ago I went to catheterise, great trouble getting it past the sphincter next to my bladder and I ended up passing a bit of blood and no urine.

To cut a long story short I ended up at Watord General hospital at 3 in the morning. I was discharged 12 hours later, all they had done was inserted an indwelling catheter and I now drain my bladder using a flip-flop switch . They wanted to do an Cystoscopy to see what was going on but could not find a slot for me. I now have an appointment at Hemel Hempstead in a couple of days, hopefully the indwelling catheter will be removed.

What I did acquire was a UTI and an separate infection linked to the catheter/urethra and I’m sure it happened while in hospital, I discovered these two facts about 5 days after discharge. I have kept a diary of the events and will write to PAL at Watford after the Cytoscopy. A UTI is very bad news and I’m not impressed

Can you think of a better way to handle the whole episode

Thanks,

Patrick

I used to get loads of infections when self cath and ureatheral now suprapubic I dont get any well two in 20 months so I recomend suprapubic catheter. DON

Hi

It’s possible you may have had a UTI first, and that was why you couldn’t get it in yourself. I can often find if I have a UTI then it can be a pickle to insert a catheter. Has a urine sample been tested yet? I’m surprised they didnt send a sample off when you were in hospital.

Dan

As opposed to a urine infection that you expected, I smiled when I read the title, sorry just my stupid sense of humour…

I must say I expect infections when I go to hospitals they are full of sick people. Don

Hello he_funk ???& hoppity

When I went into hospital my bloods and urine were tested, no report of a UTI. I was prescribed Trimethoprim last week when I first reported the UTI but that did not work so just got a better bug blaster called Cefalexin, starting today

On Intermittent Self Datheterisation usually about one UTI a year. Might be put onto suprapubic catheter, dependsa upon the Cytoscopy tomorrow morning

Patrick

Patrick my GP calls Cefalexin Domestos it kills all known germs. Trimethaprim never seems to do the trick.

Don