Alternative to selfcathetorization ?

Hi

Is there or does anybody know if there is an alternative to haveing a cathetor indwelling or self.

I have been having a problem with UTI’s, 7 one after another and the doc sugested self cathetors at which I told the doc I don’t think it’s an option for me, I realy can’t think of anything more obnoxtious to do to yourself. I’ve seen the video showing sombody doing it.

I know people who use them say it’s easy and you will get used to it.

I’m normaly one of those, I suppose quite unsympathetic types and if there is a problem I would think or say " oh just deal with it "

Well this I don’t think I can and am looking if there are alternatives.

I have an appiontment with a Urologist next week and know this will be suggested.

Ronin

Ronin, l am sorry you are now in this predicament. l had a supra-pubic catheter done - about 18yrs ago. lt has made the world of difference to my life. But it was very difficult to except at the begining. l could never manage the self-catheterisation. Many do - and very successfully.

There are many on this site who do take LDN - as it can give you back control of your bladder. Even folk on dmd’s - still take LDN for this purpose. lt is certainly worth a try. l would have thought self-catheterisation would increase your risk of uti’s.

F.

Dear Ronin,

I read your message and I would be interested in any replies. I have a catheter and am due to ‘see about it next month’ but I don’t know what the options are, sorry!

good luck.

Marcus.

A catheter of any type is only of use if the reason for the UTIs is failure to empty the bladder properly - this is measured by a before and after ultrasound scan. I just had one becuase of successive UTIs - 6 in 7 months back to back. Retention was not the cause in my case - so have one if you haven’t yet to find out. I agree with you over self catheterisation - I kniow I just could not bring myself to do it.

Assume you are a male and thinking a bit laterally; men who have a turp operation for retention caused by an enlarged prostate can have an improved flow afterwards, but sometimes they end up with the opposite problem - incontinence. Wonder if having a thin slice of of prostate shaved off could help.

Hi Ronin

As anon said above, the important issue is whether or not you’re getting the UTI’s because you’re not emptying your bladder fully. I was using the sheath & leg bag system which was great for helping with urgency and not being able to hold on. However I started getting lots of UTIs. Like you I loathed the idea of catheterising but eventually had not choice when I started doing damage to my kidneys. Unsurprisingly, I wish I started doing it earlier. There wasn’t a hint of pain or discomfort - I can barely feel a thing when I’m sliding it in. And it’s great knowing I’m not going to need the loo for a few hours afterwards.

Sorry if that’s not what you want to hear…

Dan

No cather will stop a uti. It will be because of uncomplete emptying of the bladder, not enough fluids, Are you going into retention because of the uti?? Some people have a long term low dose anti biotic alongside the catheter

Have they sent a sample of urine to the labs to find out what bateria it is and what antibs it is sensitive to??

No cather will stop a uti. It will be because of uncomplete emptying of the bladder, not enough fluids, Are you going into retention because of the uti?? Some people have a long term low dose anti biotic alongside the catheter

Have they sent a sample of urine to the labs to find out what bateria it is and what antibs it is sensitive to??

Hi Ronin,

I was like you I was having UTI after UTI and was told I may have to self catheter It almost freaked me out the thought of having to do that I always thought of my man bits as a one ways street lol.

But I did give it a go and I’ve never looked back that must be over 5 years ago I may get a UTI once or twice a year but thats it when I do it now at bed time I can sleep right through till the morning I’m not up 3 or 4 times a night for a wee and shattered and when I go out I’m not always looking for the nearest toilet my bladder stopped working years ago and couldn’t go now on my own but the catheters I have fit in my pocket and I just go to the toilet when I get the chance or if I’m out and really have to go I can just go behind something and use a catheter its giving me my life back its not ruled by visits to the toilet or UTI’s

Mark

Ronin,

The catheters I use are called Speedicath compact for men they come in a hard plastic tube there about 7 or 8" long and fit in your coat pocket you unscrew the top of the tube and pull the cateter out its telescopic and almost doubles in length but you dont feel a thing when using them it looks and sounds worse than it is.

Here’s a link to the web site and you can see what they look like

http://www.coloplast.com/products/urologyandcontinencecare/speedicath/productandaccesories/speedicath_compact_male

Mark