Alcohol pregabalin and neuropathic pain!

Ive posted before about neuropathic pain and tingling in my feet and legs and have searched for means of relieving it. I take pregabalin which helps a bit but I can’t take any of the other pain killers because it upsets the blood chemistry. I have found that when I drink some alcohol I do get temporary relief it seems to enhance the efficacy of the pregabalin but have too much and the pain is worse next day. I wonder if anyone else finds the same. These horrible sensations are making me a bit depressed. There is nothing else in mainstream medicine to try. I do wonder about tens machines, acupuncture or taking herbal green medicine ( illegal ) or CBD oil (legal). Any advice or observations on any of the above welcomed. Had physio in past and that didn’t make any difference. Many thanks in advance. Barty.

I find it ok drinking beer or lager with pregabalin ( I’m on 300 mg twice a day). I am though wary about having spirits. I was having a night out and I washed my pregabalin down with a double whisky and then had a few more, after about half an hour I felt like a complete zombie, like I could barely walk. Really weird feeling. So I now just stick to lager. Stay safe folks.

Thanks for replying. Tried gabapentin but didn’t do much good. My ms nurse says there’s nothing else in their arsenal so he said carry on with the wine! Wise advice so long as you don’t overdo it. Would like to explore others fringe medicines so I wonder for example if acupuncture has helped anyone?

I take cannabis at night for nerve pain with a vaporizer it takes the pain off within seconds, i have also taken cbd oil which is also good but cannabis works much better

A very well known Herbalist within his field, who was providing me with CBD oil and had many MS patients told me to avoid alcohol like the plague, “you need to wrap your nervous system in cotton wool”, those were his words.

He also told me after a few months of trying the CBD oil that I was wasting my money and should try “the real thing”, which he could supply at a fraction of the cost of CBD oil.

He also offered the exact strain of cannabis and proportions of CBD/THC that is used in Sativex if I could not get it on prescription, again at the fraction of the cost.

I did in fact manage to get Sativex on prescription, however, like the CBD oil it did nothing for me, I’ve trialled it now many times over the last year or so at various dosages, but it just don’t help, in fact dare I say it actually makes my mobility more rigid and heavy.

I don’t get any pain with my MS so I cant comment on how effective Sativex or CBD oil is for pain management.

So its back to a Vody and coke for me if anyones buying

Preglabin is a class c drug. there is a reason why they have reclassified it as it doesnt always react well with other drugs, and there and certainly not alcohol.

My daughter has been on it way too long i told her never to start it she has nerve pain from a botched surgery. she is addicted to it, and is controlled and coming down off it. She is actully going out and doing more and not so much a zombie, irritable and tired all the time. Its going to take another year i believe before she will be clear of it.

she was put on a ridiculously high dose.

Preglabin.

Print Share

Lyrica (pregabalin) and Alcohol / Food Interactions

There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with Lyrica (pregabalin):

Moderate### pregabalin ↔ food

Moderate Food Interaction

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of pregabalin such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with pregabalin. Do not use more than the recommended dose of pregabalin, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns

I’ve been on pregabalin for the last 6 years for a balance problem (migraine variant balance condition) and on the doctors advice have been off alcohol since, which is a big big thing for me. I loved a beer in the evening or a gin and tonic. Being tee total has been horrible. Now I’m on the verge of being diagnosed with MS I really feel I could do with a beer, so was interested to see that a few of you guys still have a tipple whilst on pregabalin.

Hi I dont need any pain killers at the moment (lucky me) but i work in a chemist and alot of people swear by CBD oil although i dont know what problem they are treating also i know someone with RRMS who thinks accupuncture is amazing - she just says where the pain is and a few pins later its gone - maybe worth a try?

Gabapentin is not a painkiller. It is an anticonvulsant medication but was found to help neuropathic pain in patients with dieabetes and shingles. Most drugs used to control the nerve pain in MS are AM not pain killers.

My pain med doctor actually said to me because everyone i have tried has made me feel horrible, is designed to calm you down and they can make us sleepy (one common side affect), prelabin is same (lyrica) as i wrote a year ago) my daughter is now finally of this stuff and living again. Neither should be given with alcohol.

there is no real pain killer for nerve pain per se, but a lot of people with MS end up with muscle skeletal because of poor walking etc and standing so a painkiller for that is more suitable.

I have PPMS and take non of these. I have tried but didnt like the weird effects lol.