abcess pain

feel so awful my ms is playing up as been for last 4 weeks, and think i am starting with an abcess in agony,i have some antibiotics my daughter had for her abcess so am going to take those,will be ringing my dentist in morning but i really am in agony,will it be ok to have the tooth out tomorrow,with me feeling so ill,i am scared.i am such a wimp.

J x

Any chance of getting some of that stuff you rub on babies gums when teething (forget name)?

It can help.

Poor you. Hope you get appointment in morning.

A few years ago there was an article in a dental magazine about how MS affects the gums. I’m always told I have inflamed gums when I go to the dentist and it was one dentist who told me that.

MS gets everywhere!!! Although of course yours might be unrelated… no way of knowing.

Thinking of you,

Pat xx

1 Like

Hi Pat, i dare not put anything on my gum,i rinsed my mouth with warm salt water,and nearly shot thru the roof,i have a dental phobia which makes things worse,i wont be sleeping tonight,with the thought of having to go tomorrow.

J x

1 Like

I sympathise. I have a dental phobia too. Haven’t been for a couple of years. Sorry to say I’m one of those people who only go when there’s a problem.

Pat xx

Hi, when I had access on tooth they would not extract it until the infection was gone, it took 2 courses of antibiotics. The reason the dentist gave was he could not deaden the area while infection was present. There is a new member on everyday living who is a dentist, it might be worth posting there and see if she can give you any advice.

ann x

1 Like

Hi ann, thanks for your reply, i know in the past years ago i had an abcess and they wouldnt pull it until i had antibiotics,but i think now they tend to pull them when you have an abcess,without the antibiotics,but ive heard the injection doesnt work as well as it should hence the reason they used to wait, i am terrrified as i have lots of trouble with this particular tooth.guess who wont be sleeping tonight. grrrrrrrrrr I HATE TEETH lol.

J x

Hi Mrs j

Meant to reply via forum but sent you a message instead… (sorry still finding my way around the site) x

Ouch!!! I hope you get some relief. If you can take Ibuprofen it helps as it’s an anti inflammatory. It won’t kill the infection but should help with the pain. I have to see the dentist too but I’ve been putting it off. Not the answer I know, but I’m a wimp as well. Hope you get an appointment soon.

Cath x

1 Like

Havent been able to get to dentist today as my partner as had to go into work,and i have to rely on him to take me, i dont think its an abcess as my face isnt swollen,i do think theres is some infection though,maybe its just starting,it feels bruised and the pain keeps coming now and then,i managed to sleep last night too,so i am trying to go to dentist tomorrow, i wish the dentist could come out to me ,as i dont really feel up to going,i have felt really bad ms wise which as you know,even getting up is an ordeal at the minute.

J x

MrsJ hope all goes well here is a virtual hug XXX Don

2 Likes

Is it bonjella Pat? There’s an adult version now too…my husband thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread!

Nina x

2 Likes

Hope your tooth is much better today Mrs J,

Take care,

Nina x

1 Like

Thanks Nina …and thanks Don f…or the much needed hug

J x

1 Like

Hope your pain is better Mrs J ((((hugs))))

Pam x

2 Likes

Yes Nina! Bonjella!!!

Thank you!!!

Pat xx

well… went to get my tooth checked,theres nothing wrong with the tooth,so i am putting it down to trigeminal neuralgia,i have never had pain as bad in all my life,thought it was an abcess for a few days,but my face didnt swell,snd the pain stopped after 3 to 4 days,so knew then it defo wasnt an abcess, but thinking back i had the same trouble 6 or 7 yrs ago with the same tooth,so i really do think its TN,make no wonder they call it the suicide pain,its horrendous it really is.

J x

Oooh J I do sympathise. It is considered the worst pain in the world!

I get it from ear to jaw… I’m very lucky though it comes and goes quickly on and off for a day or two and then stops. But I live in dread of it getting worse.

Sending you love and (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) and hope it goes away!!!

Are you on Amitriptyline? I double the dose when I get it but it’s not as bad or as long lasting as yours.

Pat xx

1 Like

Hi Mrs J I think I have this as well. I have had a sore tooth for about a fortnight and I know I had root canal treatment on the tooth a few years ago so there isn’t a nerve there. Luckily mine goes away with ibuprofen so it’s not that bad yet. I go every 6 months to the dentist and I have a check up coming up soon but I am sure it’s tn. when I was younger i had really bad tn and the pain was horrendous. I went to the dentist and i was convinced i had an absess but he said no. I live in dread of it. Mags xx

1 Like

Thanks for the hugs Pat,they have helped ,they really have,

the pains stopped for now, thank goodness .,tooths still very sensitive,but i can cope with that.

it didnt help me getting into a flap thinking i was going to need to have it out lol,i didnt feel up to going anyway lol.

Mags i hope yours goes off very soon,its just the worst pain ever,it really is,it leaves you washed out for ages too.

J x

Pam thanks for the much needed Hugs,things are better today thanks

J x