Forum

A question about ESA

Hi I am on contribution based ESA from 11th April 2012 to 2nd March 2013 and am in the support group. I was on half pay then until I was officially and awarded a pension, starting on the 9th July. I telephoned the DWP to inform them of this and was told to send in a photocopy of my pension award statement that has the start date and amounts on it, which I did straight away. I fully expected my ESA payments to be amended due to receiving a pension however as yet I am still receiving the full amount. Is this right or should I be contacting them again? Thanks Catherine

It takes an age for the dwp to put things into motion. I would just give them a ring and confirm they have all the information asked for to make sure its going through the motions and ask about money whilst on the phone they should tell you if you are entitled to less money.

My son was on contributory and he lost his job so it took an age for him to go back onto income related esa.

I hope you soon get it sorted.

bren

x

It should’ve read 2013 to 2014 !!! Blooming cog fog

I agree with Bren that you should tell them again but in a letter not on the phone.

I would say something like

“with reference to my letter dated……………. I once again draw your attention to the fact that I began drawing my pension on ……….”

It’s important that you reference your previous communication so they don’t pull this letter out of the bag and say it’s the first they’ve heard.

Send the letter by registered post so that you have proof that they got it.

If you speak to anyone on the phone ask their name and make a note of the date and time.

Your pension will definitely affect your ESA and they will backdate the effect. However it is their fault that they didn’t put this into motion in a timely manner so you will not have to pay the overpayment in a lump sum but can negotiate a weekly repayment amount.

Jane

Thanks Jane. Done exactly what you said first thing this morning.

Depending on the amount of overpayment, you may not have to make an ‘actual’ payment. It can be recovered by adjusting your tax code so more income tax is payable from your pension. This is what happened when the DWP paid me ESA when I was ineligible due to my pension - instead of paying it back directly, my personal allowance was lowered meaning that more income tax was deducted from my pension.

Neil

Depending on the amount of overpayment, you may not have to make an ‘actual’ payment. It can be recovered by adjusting your tax code so more income tax is payable from your pension. This is what happened when the DWP paid me ESA when I was ineligible due to my pension - instead of paying it back directly, my personal allowance was lowered meaning that more income tax was deducted from my pension.

Neil

Thank you Neil. I first wrote to them on the 9th July which is the day I received my pension notification. I received my first pension payment on 16th August, backdated to the 9th July. So that’s nearly three months of overpayments, so I guess I’m going to owe them quite a bit of money !! Just great.