Forum

A night at the the Orera

Guten Morgan mein Kinder.

Hope yoose all had a peaceful and restful night? In thje past I have always ended the big h. stories with a language lesson either German or Glaswegian…the strange patois of the north west central Scotland. Maybe today I will give a lesson in language and save the \ight at the Operas tale for tomorrow. The opening greeting is fairly self explamnatory.

Glaswegians have a habit of exoressing themselves with the minimal amounts of word so the term you all becomes yoose. This can be heard on any street in Scotland. Mainly used by mothers and young people in groups. The mother will use it as a term of frustration or admonishment when referring to her brood…mostly heards as Och see yoose, yer driving me aff me heid The rough translation is Oh you group of children are driving me to distraction. The younger generarition however, uis it in a much more plaintive way more as a plea for mercy when one member of the group has been made to look foolish in front of thei friends. The tone of the voice changes to much more of a plading tone.

The Scots language is the only language in the world which contains a double positive this can be heard any time of the day in any setting in the form Aye right Aye is used as a postitive acknowledgement that something or happening is correct and the word right need no explanation. This is used both in the correct way as in Aye right I got that without any problem. Yes Iinderstood that without difficulty is the translation. Due to the flexibilty ofthe language it can be used as a term of disbelief that someone is trying to make you believe in something or someone who is not quite genuine. For example if someone said `That Big Heidi is really an intelligent lassie (female). It would be perfectly acceptable to reply to this Aye right with a hint of sarcasm and a questioning tone in your voice.

Well kids I do not know about you but I am bored stiff with all this linguistic nonsense so will bid you farewell in the true Scottish manner of Tatty bye ra noo. Again Tatty has several meanings primarily it is a potato butis used in this context as a farewell, ra noo the ra is anabreviate for of the and noo not to be confused with coo is now.

Well my darkend room is calling me again along with ma wee glass of whiskey…and it`s only 6.25am Cheers everyone. Remeber be kind to one another and keep well.

Uncle Rick

Well I didn`t have a peaceful night, awoken too early by men drilling on the roof, but thats another story.

Can recall a few things from the language lessons you gave us all way back in the day, but lets face it cheers in any language is perfectly understandable.

Don`t let the menagarie drive you nuts and slumber on.

XXX

Yeah, right Rick, youse Scots aren’t the only ones youse know who do the double positives. We Aussies do it too. As a form of disbelief and an affirmative. And ‘youse’ is a common expression amongst, dare I say it, the more common sort of youth, known in Australia as the Bogan class.

Good to see you and Big Heidi back again

B