A game!

said to the redoubtable Bessie Braddock, Liverpool MP when she accused Churchill of being drunk in the House of Parliament.

I well remember an aunt patting me on the hand and saying sadly ’ you know Marek, we can’t all be good looking can we!’ – I was 14!

• wouldn’t have minded but she had a face like the back end of a bus herself.
3 Likes

There is something about Aunts and their harsh comments, I bet she could not remember what it was like to be 14

another firm favourite for pithy comments is Oscar Wilde

“The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.”

Oscar Wilde

Not just aunts, I’m convinced Ena Sharples was modelled on my gandmother, Blanche Hunt. was chanelling her! she was Mancunian, I think it’s entirely possible! Was the lampost and mac quote Eric Morcambe?

Some of you have solved all or some…Ill divulge their derivations for you....oooo Polly, thats a posh word for a Thursday morning!

light refreshments Mr Shifter?..monkeys and PG Tips

are you local?..League of Gentlemen…an eerie dark comedy I thought

lampost/mac…Lily Savage doing Marlene Dietrich

Are you married?..Dick Emery in drag.

Many of your replies amused me.

Cheers guys!

pollyx

Hi Poll, thought the mac thing might have been Eric and Ernie after the singing in the rain sketch. They used to have the PG tips monkeys at the Saturday morning pictures every Christmas, I do remember being given a PG tips jigsaw one of the years, it was quite smelly, warm cinema,rain soaked kids(was always packed) and I suppose, natural chimp aroma! they didn’t have nappies on in the 60s. Cinema manager’s garden backed on to ours, so although we never got in free, we at least didn’t have to queue up. My hubby does a very scary impression of Papa Lazarou!

lol xx

pollx

Good job he doesn’t do his impression when he’s working (toastmaster) “you’re my wife now” would be a bit scary! lol

who is/was Papa Lazarou?

pollx

He was the ringmaster/travelling showman from The League of gentlemen, only in 3 episodes I think, who’s catchphrase was “you’re my wife now”, I can’t do links from this tablet, but lots on youtube!

The no tail?

Pollx

The mouse who’s tail had actually been streched so much it broke off,lol anybody who hasn"t read the game thread will be totally baffled by that question and answer! lol

he no tail I`m thinking of was from League of Gentlemen. I think it referred to a female, ie with no tail.

pollx

right you are, not with it today! what did you think of Strictly Poll? I’d kind of lost interest after Anita was voted off but think Georgia and Kellie were both better than Jay, that one jive was good but for goodness sake, he even dropped Aliona last week!

Alison x

Yeh, I too, was disappointed in the result.

Georgia`s rumba was heavenly…it made me want to melt into her! And dancing blinfold…wow!!!

Kellie`s boundless energy was amazing.

Jay`s show dance was good, but not exciting or daring like the others. I was pleased for Anton, getting into the final BUT Anita was much better than Katie and losing Gleb was sinful…what a beautiful man, eh?

I didnt vote…so how can I complain?

Ill miss the show, but The Voice starts next month..but Ill miss Tom. Do you watch it?

pollx

Yes Poll we watch, just think a lot of people lose interest after the blind auditions, really liked last years winner! My favorite is from the Australian series though, Kaitie Dunstan siging ‘brand new key’, very quirky and different, I watch a lot of this stuff on youtube. Sorry about misunderstanding yesterday! Apprentice final tonight! tough choice, theyseem equally incompetent but at least Joseph can actually do something practical, he reminded me of Private Walker from Dads Army and Flash Harry from St Trinians! Sports Personality too! I’d like A P McCoy to win that but given my recent form in predictions, I wouldn’t bet on it!

Alison x