You should be reading this! (DWP, ATOS,Unum)

I was doing some background reading / fact checking and read with ever-increasing disbelief the extent of ATOS / Unum involvement in dictating AND executing government policy. The two companies are separate trading entities but chop-and-change their senior management around. Basically both sponsor “experts” to sit on advisory panels, influence DWP policy - then ATOS get the contract for ditching benefit claimants a whilst Unum aggressively flogs their Critical illness and Disability cover in the resulting climate of fear and misery. But apparently there’s no conflict of interests. Riiight. The full article is here, it is the sort of corruption / conspiracy that would not look out of place on the X-Files: ‘Private Eye’ piece on Unum, the American insurance company, and income protection cover, 11 November 2011 | The ME Association On a separate but equally eyebrow raising note I read ATOS’s webpage about the “pre-employment screening service” they sell to employers, with the explicit aim of weeding out people with a sickness record / health condition. This, they promise employers, will stop the hiring of “inappropriate” staff. Wonder how many pipe who passed the WCA would get through the exhaustive screening criteria - and believe me they look at EVERYTHING. I’m sorry this is not a happy post but I was astounded that they are all getting away with this! G :frowning:

Disgusting to say the least!

Suex

Really diabolical, and this is allowed to go on, surely this is a conflict of interests.

S

Unbelievable!

The whole thing stinks of curruption & anti human rights, right-wing attitudes. I really can hardly believe they are getting away with this… and we have a government PAYING them to abuse our human rights!

Thanks for posting,

Pat x

Now I know we are living in fairy land - with the Orwellian Pigs in charge.

bren

x

Unbelieveable!!

I couldn’t agree more with Twinklejelly’s comments…

M x

Whilst i’m pleased ATOS are finally making the news, I’m simultaneously disappointed that nobody picked up on the fact that these corporate entities are helping make the policies begging the scenes. They are not simply carrying out government contact, they created the need for a government contract! Also the simple economics. Disability-related fraud is estimated at 0.5% and a cost of 60 million only. We pay that to ATOS in overturned appeals alone! Plus the 100 million to do the assessments in the first place. How is this saving money? It’s not, it never was - it’s about corporate gain and a few soundbytes for the government. Personally I’d rather my taxes went straight to sick people and to hell with a few “fakers” along the way. I really think the levels of this corruption - which is long standing and goes back to the 90s by the way - needs to be highlighted as well. Sorry for wordy posts folks but i’m so dismayed at all this - and I haven’t even had to claim ESA yet! Have a good day anyway all lol, Gina xx

The Tories are doing this because they want to and not because they need to. It’s all part of their warped ideology and “advisors” are similarly benefiting from attempts to privatise the NHS.

It’s not for nothing they are known as the nasty party.

Too right Wammel !!! The deficit is a handy excuse… they would have done this anyway.

The NHS was set up when deficit was much bigger than now BUT we had a government who cared.

This lot of Posh Boys don’t give AToss!

Pat x

If I could go back in time and shoot someone, it would be whoever first dreamt up the idea of outsourcing. It is an open invitation for corruption, inefficiency and profiteering. ATOS etc are working the system and not giving a sh!t who they hurt in the process. It’s disgusting.

Karen x

Disgraceful and frightening, thank you for posting.

It sounds like it’s just a matter of time until Atos demands abortion of the weakest to improve the gene pool!

People really need to complain. We really need a high profile person to talk on our behalf, it would make all the difference.

As encouraged by DPAC, ( http://www.dpac.uk.net/2012/08/atos-phone-blockade-contact-numbers/ )

I phoned Atos to complain.

The man I spoke to told me I was silly complaining to a person who “just worked there”, I pointed out that at some point he must have made a moral decision with himself, that it was ok to work for people who were responsible for the suicides of disabled people.

Needless to say, he hung up on me.

The last time when the excuse was used that someone was just following orders like that, must have been circa 1945. x

“If I could go back in time and shoot someone, it would be whoever first dreamt up the idea of outsourcing. It is an open invitation for corruption, inefficiency and profiteering. ATOS etc are working the system and not giving a [filtered word] who they hurt in the process. It’s disgusting.“

Spot on. From what I remember it became very popular in the eighties for some unfathomable reason.

“The last time when the excuse was used that someone was just following orders like that, must have been circa 1945. X”

History tells me that this excuse didn’t go down to well at Nuremburg and perhaps similar punishments will be applied.

Call Me Dave Cameron and the Tories are the Nazis for the 21st century. Before WWII began, the Nazi party first tested gas chambers on their own chronically sick and disabled. These were termed as “useless eaters”, people that consumed food etc but were unable to contribute to society because they were too ill. These people had to be punished and gas chambers were seen as expedient and cheap to run. Welcome to the 21st century New Nazi party and give a big hand to Call Me Dave Hitler…