Writing Problems

Another one of my symptoms is that I can’t hold a pen in my writing hand. It’s very annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to cure it?

Hi Mr Grumpy… horrid problem! I don’t know how you can cure it, but there are many designs of pens for disabled people. Here’s one link:

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/categories-disability-aids/174/writing_aids.html

If you google ‘pens for disabled people’ you will get a whole bunch of links with different designs, prices etc.

Hope you find something that will help.

It might be worth asking your GP or neuro about physio… there might be exercises that will help your hands.

Pat x

Thanks Pat. I mentioned it to my MS Nurse yesterday and she suggested some kind of pen grip.

Can you believe I’m right handed and typing this with my left!

I am right-handed as well and have more problems with my right hand! I get clawing and the fingers moving around on their own! Often the hand just feels ‘strange’ but hard to describe.

When my hands are good (like today!) I can still type 55 wpm… which is why I can sometimes do long posts! (Don’t tell Atos… lol…)

I wonder if the more dominant hand is always the one most affected by MS? My right leg is also the one more affected.

Pat x

Don’t talk to me about Atos! I was given a newspaper article about them advising someone with crohn’s to go to work wearing a nappy. They’re simply useless and they’re the reason I went on the sick with their incompassionate “help”.

My right leg is the dodgy one too (at the knee) and the foot with the spastic gait. It’s the big finger on my right hand that won’t grip the pen.

Don’t talk to me about Atos! I was given a newspaper article about them advising someone with crohn’s to go to work wearing a nappy. They’re simply useless and they’re the reason I went on the sick with their incompassionate “help”.

My right leg is the dodgy one too (at the knee) and the foot with the spastic gait. It’s the big finger on my right hand that won’t grip the pen.

Duplicate post, impatience made me do it!

Hi Mr Grumpy, I am right-handed and cannot write as well as I used to. My writing has become quite untidy and I used to pride my self on my neat handwriting. However, my worst weakness is on my left side - left arm and hand and left foot and leg. I struggle with the ironing, for example as I need my left hand to move and position the clothes and I run out of steam very quickly with it! So Pat, atm it is not my dominant hand most affected by my MS but the other! Teresa xx

Ah Teresa… another theory hits the dust!

Pat x

Hi all

I find writing difficult for two reasons, being able to pick up the

pen and trying to write with a tremor. I am right handed and this

was the hand that played up first, but now my left is just as bad,

can’t win either way.

I find it very frustrating as well as I have gone from a very competent

touch typist to someone who can’t keep her arms and hands still

enough to keep them on the resting keys. Best stop there as I can

feel a swear word coming!!

Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Pam x

Swear away Pam… £££££££££££££££££££££££££!!! Sometimes there’s nothing else to do about this bloody MS but get angry about it!

Lots of love Pam and hope you have a nice weekend,

Pat xxx

Another thing I have to do when trying to write, is concentrate on one word at a time. If I think of the next word I’m going to write I invariably start that word into the one that I haven’t finished. I therefore cross words out all over the place.

Hi Mr. Grumpy, I do that too. I really have to focus and make terrible mistakes. Writing a cheque or writing in a greeting card has become something that demands huge concentration. The times I’ve had to bin one and start again!

Pat x

lhlhlh’;k;lk;lk;#’;#

lhlhlh’;k;lk;lk;#’;#

Sorry about the mess I just posted. Had a little technical blip. I was actually only reading…I must have pressed something opps x

I had to write lot when I was working (retired 3 years ago ) and it got to a stage where I could not understand my own handwriting because you have to write quickly when recording what people say.So now when I write I do it slooooooowly, and I have changed my writing more to non-connected up. I sympathise with Mr Grumpy and I count myself fortunate because I am right handed and can still write with it albeit slowly. Recently, during a downward turn my MS affected both hands and as I took up painting for a hobby 4 months ago I could no longer paint. i have adapted and thenkfully the downward turn is receeding. Thank goodness for keyboars as the typing errors on this post would make this comment unintelligible because my hands don’t always hit the rihht key. My brain does one thing abd my hands another. See typing errors uncorrected. LOL

Patrick

Once I realised I was losing the ability to write by using a pen, I saved a GIF of my ‘proper’ signature which I can now use when necessary - via PDF format
Now that my abilities at the keyboard too are diminishing I rely more and more on Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition software which is invaluable.

stefos

I dont write much at all now can’t feel or control the pen,have to rely on one of my daughters to fill forms in ect.Not a nice feeling even my signature has gone awol,hope things will improve for everyone x.

Like so many of you I struggle too. I was so embarrassed sending my last ESA and DLA forms in as they looked like they were filled in by a messy toddler with poor vocabulary. I’m right handed, left side is weaker but holding a pen is difficult for any length of time, fatigue, concentration, cognition and finding the right word is problematic.

I was a nurse and took pride in my ability to write with excellent spelling and grammar and my handwriting was always legible, how hard I’ve fallen… I’ve discovered that typing is also an issue as I was a touch typist but now my brain and fingers work at different speeds so that’s not great but my Kindle has been a godsend as I just have to slide my index finger over the letters I need and usually the spellchecker auto corrects for me. A wonderful invention, I hardly ever use the computer now, worth the investment! Mine died this morning so I’ve nicked my daughter’s until I get a new one, hope she doesn’t miss it!

Cath xx