Worried mum my six year old has migraines.

Hi everyone I’m really worried my 6 year old little girl is at the beginning stage of ms. I had the same symptoms shes showing at the same age, docs thinks that I was at the beginning stage of ms when I started getting the bad head pain, there were no tests done for kids that many years ago, so it went unseen until now. My gp has put her on meds for the head pain and said she’s to young to be tested wait intill she’s in her teens then they will do the scans. He said there only a small chance she could have it some thing like 2 persent and told me not to worrie about it that it’s highly unlikely she has it. Well as a mother I don’t think that is good enough, what do you think and what would you do. Many thanks Lisa.

Hi Lisa, I would make another appointment for docs and see another doctor and ask for a referral to a neuro, there is no age bar to MRI’s is there or lumbar punctures? I understand your worry. Is she showing anything else other than migraines? I hope you get some satisfaction from the doctors and they can maybe put your mind at rest. I am sure if she does have this the quicker they get her on meds the less likely she is to suffer in the long run. She also may not have MS but surely it’s better to know earlier. Big hugs Lx

[quote=“Lindylou65”]

Hi Lisa, I would make another appointment for docs and see another doctor and ask for a referral to a neuro, there is no age bar to MRI’s is there or lumbar punctures? I understand your worry. Is she showing anything else other than migraines? I hope you get some satisfaction from the doctors and they can maybe put your mind at rest. I am sure if she does have this the quicker they get her on meds the less likely she is to suffer in the long run. She also may not have MS but surely it’s better to know earlier. Big hugs Lx

[/quote] Thankyou for you message, she is showing signs of weakness in one knee and has stiff muscles after a long play day or pe. I will see another doc when I can because I’m not happy that she’s in pain at such a young age.

Hello Lisa

Insist on a referral to a paediatric neurologist…there are plenty of them.

Good luck

Hello I think I would do the opposite and not push for the diagnosis until it is a must. I would look at her diet (oms website good) and vitamins etc… I would then get critical care insurance well before any investigations are made so that financially she has something? Sorry is that a terrible thing to say. I would just really try and make sure diet etc helps. Overcoming ms website really good I hope she gets better. Just think a diagnosis is a big thing x

Hi Lisa how worrying for you. I know I would certainly want to know but then remembered how terrified I was when I was diagnosed as an adult. Like jen I agree with all response s and would probably do what jen has doneand get vit d llevels checked. I give both my kids vit supplements everyday to ensure they have everything as it won’t hurt them. Good luck with whatever you decide and I do hope she gets better soon. x

My advice to see a paediatrician, is not necessarily about getting a diagnosis of ms for her daughter. It’s about having the correct consultation, considering Lisa’s own medical history. The paediatrician may recommend a wait and see attitude :slight_smile:

I am having similar issues with my daugter, she is 14 and over the last coule of years had has intermitant symptoms, that could be a sign of something or a coincidence, she is on Vit D, and I have informed my GP of my concerns, she was brilliant and agreed that we should keep an eye and keep in touch. She suggested an eye exam as Daughter has blurred vision some times but apart from that I will be doing nothing more than watching and waiting, a friend has sussed something is a miss as my daughters hands went numb when we were together and she asked if everything was ok. I agree about the insurance but I started having symptoms at an early age and wasnt diagnosed until I was 37, I wont put my daughter through the worrying/whats going on/question stage of this journey until I absolutely have to. Good luck and Ihope it all turns out ok for you xxx

(sorry gone annon as family have access to my computer)

Hiya,

I think it would be impossible for a mum to ignore their child’s symptoms. You want to find out if there’s a way they can improve so they can have a normal childhood; elle natural!

As far as the insurance is concerned if you have seen your GP once about anything neurological an insurance company would contest a claim.

You could take her to see a Neurologist privately; cost about £200. It’s better to be referred by a doctor but it is not necessary.

There are many things to test for like http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/charcot_marie_tooth/detail_charcot_marie_tooth.htm#102783092 or http://www.hughes-syndrome.org/ but have all tests on the NHS.

G

What concerns me, without causing more stress to Lisa. Although I’m sure it’s what she’s thinking about herself. You have a six year old girl, presenting with headaches. A GP, who wants to adopt a wait and see attitude but happy to give medication without knowing cause of said headaches. I personally would want the opinion of a paediatrician, if only to reassure me. Remember!! It cost the GP practice every time they make a referral. X

My guess is that if you pursue this you will be asked if you think you are transferring the anxieties you have about yourself on to your daughter.

I would leave things as they are for the time being and be careful not to jump to any conclusions. Try not to become pe-occupied with your daughter’s health -

I do not have ms am in limbo bit reading this post as a mum. My 6 year old was having terrible stomach aches which after referral put down to headaches…seemingly kids can get them in stomachs. They did loads of bloods which despite the antiseptic cream always had my boy in tears. They the said his inflammatory marker and some other things werent right and after a year of tests and monitoring was discharged thankfully I suppose what i am saying is by all means get investigated as no mum wants to see their children in pain but my son has very bad memories of all the appts and now i have to drag him to the dr in tears. So sometimes i wish i hadnt even gone about the stomach aches as he is fine.

[quote=“loola”] Hi Lisa how worrying for you. I know I would certainly want to know but then remembered how terrified I was when I was diagnosed as an adult. Like jen I agree with all response s and would probably do what jen has doneand get vit d llevels checked. I give both my kids vit supplements everyday to ensure they have everything as it won’t hurt them. Good luck with whatever you decide and I do hope she gets better soon. x [/quote] thankyou for your views, but she’s had her bloods done and they come back fine. Her diet is very good as I am a bit of a five a,day mum. She eat really well. And I already have life insurance for all the children in case anything like this ever happened. Bit of a witch when things like this happen lol.

Hello everyone thankyou so much for all you views, my little girl has been having headaches for about a year now, after 3 days of your normal pain killers it turns into a mirgrain, once every 2 weeks. She’s worn glasses since she was 3 and gets checked every 6 weeks as we have been patching, eye doc said the headaches are not related to her condition, so that ruled that out. All my children take vitamins everyday as I work in pharmacy I know what good they do for the body eyes ect, she eats her five a day and is not over weight, a little bit tall but that’s not a problem. She’s a very healthy active little lady. Our gp Said that she gets the migraines from me end of story, could it be that simple, I’m a very unlucky person I never have good news only bad, so it just don’t feel right, I have to give her tablets every night before bed to prevent the migraines and keep them a bay. Oh we have life insurance for all the children so I haven’t got to worried about that, I didn’t even think of that, so thankyou for letting me know. I think on her next bad one I will take her in a demand for a referral and see what he saids. I would rather find out now than later on, as I would want her on treatment and out of pain what mother wouldn’t.