Working From Home

Hi,

Sorry this is the first time I have used the forum so please excuse me if I have not done this correctly.

I am in full time employment and i work one day a week from home but due to the decline in my MS I want/need to extend this. Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you go about achieving this

Hi Crazee Cat,

Don’t apologise for joining the forum, it’s here so people with MS, or who think they have MS, can support each other. Glad you’ve found us and hope you get some good advice.

I’m not an expert on work matters but i think legally employers need to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ for people with disabilities.

If you’ve told your employer about your MS then they will maybe more understanding to you asking to change things.

Here is the link on this website, in the care and support section, it will give you advice and there is a booklet you can give your employer.

Keep well,

Jen

Hi Crazee Cat

I work from home most of the time now. My employer (a major bank) is happy for people to work from home, as it’s cheaper for them. And it doesn’t actually matter that much, as half my team are elsewhere in the country, and most of the people I deal with are in India (that makes my job sound far more exciting than it is!). Every company will be different, but you’re best off speaking to your manager and HR department. The fact you already do it one day a week works in your favour, so they may be more open to increasing it. It might be worth speaking to your union rep if you have one.

I’d also get in touch with Access to Work. It’s a DWP thing to help people with disabilities to stay in work, giving advice on things that would help, and can also provide the funding (they pay for my taxi to & from the office when I do go in).

Dan

Thank you both for your comments. Things have taken a turn since my post, my first day back to work after the Christmas break, I didn’t make it having collapsed trying to get down the stairs. I have therefore since been working from home. At the moment I am not sure if I will be able to get in the office this week to talk to my employer/HR, however they have been supportive this last week so it seems that all bodes well. Will have to see how it goes.