work advice

Hi guys I havnt been on here in ages, I started a new job at the end of dec more hours longer shifts but closer to home, however after a really busy night shift this week and caught in a mega traffic jam on the way home, by the time I got home I couldnt feel my hands, got in the house and broke down, I think it was all just too much and I was supposed to be back out for another one that night. After talking to Occ health she advised me to phone in sick and try and get some sleep. My manager knew when she employed me that I had MS, how do I ask to get my hours cut and possibly a different shift pattern without regret for employing me.

xx

I mean emotionally broke down, not the car. xx

The first thing I would do, would be to speak to my manager in a nice, friendly, non confrontational way and explain how you feel and ask what they can do to help you. You might just get all you want or need by taking that route. I got everything I wanted by following that route although I admit that I didn’t want a reduction in hours. If that doesn’t work you can take it from there. Good luck. Cheryl:-)

Thanks Cheryl, I am on Annual leave this week, I will phone her during the week.

xx

Good advice from Cheryl, I think.

Even a career politician couldn’t dress this up in a way your employers are going to like, so accept they won’t like it, but be polite, be honest, be considerate. If it’s a great big company, one person wanting to reduce hours or change shifts probably isn’t going to matter much, but if it’s not, and you realise your request WILL give them a headache, at least show you’re aware of that, and want to find a compromise that will work for both of you, not cause them a problem. Thumping the table quoting the law is rarely a good first move - start off by asking nicely, not demanding. If they are cooperative and open to negotiation at once, you might never have to demand. But be prepared for a bit of give-and-take; they don’t have to give you everything you want, but only as much as is reasonable. If you ask for things it would be very hard for them to grant, without causing significant detriment to the business, you have no automatic right to them.

Unfortunately, there is no list of what is reasonable or not, as it depends so much on the circumstances. What might be easy for one employer might be very difficult for another, because it’s a completely different kind of business. They shouldn’t unreasonably reject any suggestion that wouldn’t cause them any obvious harm. If it would cause them harm, that’s when the debate about reasonableness begins. They might be expected to bear some inconvenience or expense, but it’s not unlimited.

Tina

x