Will things change?

Hi everyone, I’m new here, but getting really desperate for answers! I was officially dx in Feb after full MRI which showed lesions, and LP. My road to dx started in May 2013 when I first visited my GP. I’d been having some symptoms for years…numbness, balance problems, tripping over etc, but had ignored it all for as long as possible. By May last year, things began getting much worse. My legs, feet and left hand were getting very numb, and I began to develop foot drop in my left leg, bladder and bowel problems etc. GP referred me to a neurologist, who saw me in July and agreed it probably was MS. He prescribed a 5 day course of methylprednisolone. By this point, in the space of 2 weeks, I had become immobile, with my left leg completely numb and paralysed. I was using a frame to move short distances around our home, or a wheelchair to leave the house. Within 2 hours of taking the first tablets, I could twitch my left toe again, and over the next couple of days was able to move my foot and toes again. Although this improvement was great, that was as good as it got. I have now been using a frame and a wheelchair for a year whilst waiting for a proper dx. When I saw him in Feb, by neuro said he wanted me to have another full MRI with contrast to see what’s happening before we move any further. I had the MRI in March, and was supposed to see my neuro in May, but the hospital cancelled it and moved it to June. I really don’t know what to expect to happen next! Will he prescribe me DMDs? Should I expect to have any improvement in my mobility? I’m worried as I’ve been like this for a year now, and would have thought if there was any drug he could give me to improve my mobility, he would have done by now! I just wish I had a crystal ball so that I could see what my future will be! Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

Hi Nicky.
Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time!
Unfortunately a crystal ball is something we could all do with!
MS has no “typical” course which is what makes it so unpredictable.
Many of us have similar groups / types of symptoms but everyone is unique, in every possible way!

Sorry no answers but hopefully make you realise you are not alone!

Take care.

Steve.

Hi Nicky. Sorry your having a hard time but welome to the Forum and the unpredictable world of MS. At the moment I take life an hour at a time because of the unpedictabilty of this condition has been going on a downhill roll for six months. Hopefully things are starting to look up. Unfortunately nothing happens quickly in the MS world so be patient. Hope things improve for you soon. Linda x

Thank you both for answering, it’s good to know I’m not alone! I’ve got a fantastic support network, but have no family history of MS at all, so none of them know what it’s really like, or really have much idea about it. I’ll wait to speak to my neuro in a couple of weeks and see what the new MRI shows. It’s just very difficult to come to terms with as a year ago I was walking, driving, working full time as a teacher, and now I’m on the sofa all day with no energy and my legs won’t work properly :confused: I rang the rehab doctor today as I last saw her last Sep, she said she wanted to review me in 4 months, and I realised I hadn’t heard anything. I’m now on the waiting list for her August clinic!! I think it’s the amount of waiting for everything that drives me up the wall, but I guess we’re all in the same boat and I’ll have to get used to it!