Where to get steroids

Just a quick one. Does the MS nurse organise steroids, or do I need to see my GP? I’m relapsing at the moment and this is the first time I’ve felt bad enough to warrant help. My arms are so heavy and painful, my fingers numb and sometimes tingly. I’ve been dropping things all morning! Fatigue has kicked in now as well. The relapse started a week ago and it’s got quickly worse and worse. X

MS nurse can fax a letter to your GP asking for a prescription which you can then collect from GP reception, nurses can’t actually give prescriptions unfortunately.

Thank you x

My GP sorted my last two doses of steroids hun as the m.s nurses have an answer machine and still hadn’t rung me after two days…in his eye and medical profession it was a relapse as it was affecting my mobility all of a sudden so he felt it needed nipping in the bud so to speak and prescribed them. Both times they worked however the last relapse has still left some damage. But i do feel loads better than I did in relapse. Good luck hun x

Thanks for answering lisalou! I managed to get though to my MS nurse (she’s very good luckily) and I’m seeing her tomorrow to test for UTIs (just in case, but I’ve never had one!), then to pick up oral steroids. Hoping they work and I don’t get too many side effects - it’ll be my first batch as I’ve just struggled through in the past. X

Aah good. Yeah on both occasions GP has tested for UTI also. Good luck hun. They’ve always worked for me. Not nice to take but if it does the trick its worth it x

Aah good. Yeah on both occasions GP has tested for UTI also. Good luck hun. They’ve always worked for me. Not nice to take but if it does the trick its worth it x

Well all was good…No UTI and prescription was ready when I arrived to see my MS Nurse, but then the blinking hospital pharmacy had run out of steroids!!! What!!! So I now have to rush over there tomorrow morning when they call (after 10.30 at best) then rush back in time to pick up my son from nursery! And I was planning a relaxing morning! How does a hospital run out of steroids?