when does this feel better

So, been dx for nearly 2 yrs now and although there has been times I have felt ok on the whole I am probsbly feeling worse now than ever!! All I want is to be me again. Not alot to ask really and soo frustrating that however much I try , I just cantj get therr. How do the rest of you do it?

Hi,

Sorry you’re feeling so down. I’ve only been diagnosed since March but try to tell myself that I can either let the misery eat away at me or I can try and enjoy life as much as possible. It will make no difference to my level of disibility whichever option I choose so I may as well try to have fun.

Don’t get me wrong, I still have down days but on the whole it seems to work for me.

I hope you find a method that helps.

You can’t turn the clock back I’m afraid. I know its hard, I’ve Just been diagnosed in august.

You just have to find a way of dealing with it. I just take each day as it comes and try and stay positive.

I hope your getting plenty of support.

Take care, xxx

hi

you’re all quite recently diagnosed.

i’m 5 years.

i’m mostly upbeat with spells of ok.

i have to have something to look forward to, used to be gigs and concerts but cash is thin nowadays so the cinema or even a cafe with friends gives me a boost.

i’ve got tickets to see elbow in april but will probably have to miss festival number six this year.

accepting that this is the new normal is a help.

i’m not making sense (maybe its the red wine)

carole x

Hiya, dont be too hard on yourself. This time if year, dark early, naff weather and flipping cold dont exactly give me motivation either… I am a few years into this ( dx wise anyway with 20 years history) The adapting to the here and now, the challenges it brings plus the loss of how things were, hits us all… But its not impossible to still enjoy stuff how ever different things are… You will get used to any limitations and eventually it becomes the norm in regards to planning stuff etc… Your life aint over… Just needs doing in a dufferent way that is best for you… Very best wishes and hope you feel brighter real soon … sarah xx

I can totally empathise (or is it sympathise?) with your post. Feel exactly the same. Just want the old me back. You never realise what you’ve got / how well you feel until it’s gone. Just have to get used to the new normal I guess - and hope that things don’t deteriorate further. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger? You never get given in life more than you can handle? Are they true / cliches / of any help at all? Who knows - time for bed - I’m not making sense now.

I was dx in april this year after a couple of years of thinking I was going mad! When my neuro asked me how I felt about it I replied “in a strange way I’m relieved.” - he said this was the most common reaction to a dx.

For about a week or so I was on a bit of a high telling family and friends that I finally knew what was wrong with me. Then reality hit, and I was on a downward spiral.

Thanks to good advice and support from both my ms nurse and gp, I started taking taking meds to cope with this.

I have an amazing husband and three beautiful girls who keep me sane, and my colleagues at work are very supportive. There are days in both my private and working life, where I think “I can"t do this anymore!” This is when I take a good look around me and listen to those closest to me, and get a grip and think there is always someone worse off than me!

I have a really strong support network around me, and really hope that you do to. Don’t be too hard on yourself, we’re all human!

Sending you hugs

Freckles

((()))

Hi,

20 years later I don’t even remember the pre dx “me” so I don’t yearn for her. Your dx has been fairly recently and you can remember all too clearly what you used to be like/able to do. But you can’t un-ring the bell. MS has entered your life and harsh as it is there’s nothing much that you can do about it. But you can do something about the way you think about it.

I coped by looking forward – never back. I try to always have something in the pipeline to look forward to. Like Carole my finances aren’t up to lavish so it’s often something simple like a trip to town to window shop. All along I have done exactly what I wanted, with adaptations due to my MS – I truly don’t think it has put any road blocks up for me. (Mind you I never wanted to run a marathon or climb a mountain)

You are getting frustrated because you are trying for the unachievable – to feel like you used to before this thing happened to you. Try to get to know your new self and find ways of coping with your limitations that let you live a full and exciting life.

As I was typing this I realized that I was 40 when I was dx and will be 60 next year – it would be ludicrous for me to chase after my 40 year old self so I’m glad I cut her adrift.

It’s a work in progress – and you’ve only just begun

Jane

Everyone changes and moves into new chapters with it without ms. Once I shed the old me (that was a person who suffered but didn’t know why, thought I was going mad and wondered if half if it was in my head couldn’t understand why) and decided to make something of the new me it was like a weight off my shoulders. Embrace the new person who having been finally diagnosed knows I’m not mad I know what I’m dealing with and now I am in control of IT not the other way round. Open your eyes to the future and hold your head high, it most definitely gets better then. Sending hugs x

Thank you all for all your lovely advice-one of my big probs is that I am good at seeing n knowing what to do for othrrs but cant or rather wont accept that I cant be me still. I have had tremendous support from ms nurse etc, mindfulness course was brilliant n does help me loads. I think the struggle everyday life, hassles, and problems on top of the ms crap is jst putting me on a downward spiral atm. I will get through it eventually and is soo good to know people that actually understand what its like r there for me. I am soo used to being the one thats there for everyone else. Cheers again all xxx

I

You’re not alone there. And if you are like me the type of person who is used to being independent and the support for others you don’t know how to cope when it’s you. I stubbornly said to myself that I would never accept MS into my life as it made me feel weak, vulnerable and out of sorts but oddly enough once you say to yourself ok this has happened I’m not dying, but I have a challenge in front of me that I can take on and I will take control now that I know what I’m dealing with you feel stronger and more able. You can do this. The rest of us have and still are. Welcome to the club xx

Your really not alone ive been so down last week or so to. I was diagnosed 1yr ago and still hoping im going to wake up from this nightmare which unfortunately is never gonna come. I upset my self most days talking and thinking about how I used to be. What makes this disease hard is theres always something different everyday a new symptom or 1 worse so we re having to adjust daily. Its so easy for people to say havent you got used to it know but its like going into a new job everyday can never get used to it

hi there, things will become easier to deal with as time goes on. u need to adapt so u can keep going…i take my life day by day. i was diagnosed in 1998, thro mri n tests to my nerve reactions. i was 23. id had symptoms, but as they dissapeared i thought nothing of it. my 1st symptom happened at 13…

i miss working, being able to cope with housework also lol. im lucky my husband is very good and does what i cant :slight_smile:

but i now concentrate on what im able to do and try not to overdo it, tho i find that hard even now :slight_smile:

if u have any questions ask :slight_smile:

ill try n answer if i can x x x x x

hi there, things will become easier to deal with as time goes on. u need to adapt so u can keep going…i take my life day by day. i was diagnosed in 1998, thro mri n tests to my nerve reactions. i was 23. id had symptoms, but as they dissapeared i thought nothing of it. my 1st symptom happened at 13…

i miss working, being able to cope with housework also lol. im lucky my husband is very good and does what i cant :slight_smile:

but i now concentrate on what im able to do and try not to overdo it, tho i find that hard even now :slight_smile:

if u have any questions ask :slight_smile:

ill try n answer if i can x x x x x