Wheelie

I could do with some advice folks please. Progressing fairly steadily from crutch, to being assessed for a wheelchair by ot next week. I’m looking at something foldable, lightweight for me to get in boot of car and will have to be manouvered by myself. Hubby uses a rollater so won’t be pushing. I know the ot lady will be experienced an will advise me, but I’d like to know what anyone here uses and any dog’s or dont’s. It would be good to know what to expect.:slight_smile:

1 Like

No experience, but these look to be the lightest available.

https://www.travelscoot.eu/

Thanks Whammel. I’m not sure I’d be happy with 3 wheels. I was thinking more a chair I can propel myself along easily.

You should have plenty of chair options available and hopefully, someone with the knowledge will be around soon.

2 Likes

So, Poppy, you’re looking for a lightweight, foldable, self-propelled wheelchair ?

That would narrow-down your choices. Most foldable (travel) wheelchairs are designed for a carer/attendant to push - and often have such small wheels that you couldn’t “self-propel” unless you had the arms of an orangutan and strength of a bull !!

(…and I imagine they often need small wheels to enable them to fold)

Have you searched Google or other search-engines for suitable chairs?

Dom

Lol! Haven’t got either the long arms or the strenght! :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve been searching and found ones like this…Lightweight Wheelchairs by QUICKIE | Sunrise Medical

Although I’m sure there won’t be such availability on the Irish equivalent of the NHS, as in not having to pay for. I’m sure when I explain what I’m needing the OT and I will find something suitable. I just need to have an idea of what’s available I suppose.

1 Like

Hi, I have a fairly lightweight self propel manual wheelchair. I paid £135 for it, but you can get them cheaper now. I went to dealer in disability aids, who knew what he was talking about.

Pushing myself on even ground is ok…but any slight incline leaves me struggling or stuck!

pollx

3 Likes

Thanks Poll. I’m lucky in as much that it will be provided free for me, so I expect the choice of what’s on offer might be limited. I’ll be grateful for anything. Having almost fallen over while crossing to road with my crutch last week, and dragging my numb, freezing foot alongside me this week it’s time to accept what’s on offer to make life a bit easier. I can usually walk, with crutch, from A to B, but then can’t make it back. Or I gauge the situation and distance, and decline. I just have no idea what’s available. I’m sure I’ll be well advised by occupational therapist.

1 Like

Hi Poppy,

I’m in a similar position to you. Using a stick when I’m out and a shopmobility scooter in town.

Borrowed a transit (push) wheelchair to go to Amsterdam in the summer. Fab, able to go and do things, but couldn’t move myself around in the galleries.

Saw MS nurse in December said a wheelchair would be useful. She referred me to wheelchair services. Went last week.

Made a huge long list of reasons why I could use a chair. The lovely lady didn’t even ask.The referral was enough. Said I wanted a light one. Showed me one, got to test drive it, very easy. Measured me up for seat length and width. Getting grippy hand wheels (or whatever you call them. Wheels come off really easily so simple to put in the car. Colour choice, red, blue or black. Chose black. Arm length, long or short.

Delivery in about 6 weeks. Looking forward to it in quite a sad way.

Power pack sounds like a turbo boost… we could all do with one of those!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Jenx

2 Likes

Oh that’s just what I want to hear Jen. Thank you.

We go abroad in three weeks and last October, I just couldn’t walk for any distance at all, even with my crutch. Very frustrating, especially when only at the beginning of the year (same pace), I was walking the length of the short promenade. I am considering hiring one for a few days when we’re away, so I will be delighted to have a few trial runs while here at home. My MS support lady told OT I would need it before I went away, so she will see me with a “temporary” one, until I get back. This avoids any delay.

I completely understand your looking forward to it, in a sad way. I was feeling it was “giving in”, admitting defeat. Physio, MS support worker and hubby have persuaded me to view it differently. To have to sit in the car because I can’t do the longer walk, to not go somewhere because same…that’s giving in. That’s admitting defeat! MS will have had the upper hand. By accepting my need and use of wheels gives me back that ability. I can’t wait for my assessment now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi again, you are definitely doing the right thing, going by your falls and crossing the road in a precarious way.

Take care chuck!

Pollx

3 Likes

Cheers Poll. I’ll come back and let you all know how I get on.

1 Like

Your wheelchair services sound brilliant. I went to mine and was offered the choice of one chair, it comes in black. Yes, they check for size etc, but there’s no actual choice available. They reckon it’s lightweight ish. There’s no way I could pick it up, but then I can’t walk without it so that’s no major problem.

They told me I could have the cash value of the chair and buy my own, but that I’d have to pay for its upkeep and maintenance. I was going to do this, but then they changed their minds and said they’d stopped that scheme.

Recently, one of the armrests had a split in it, they arranged for a replacement, the chap came and swapped one armrest for the new one. It was only when he’d gone that I realised its slightly different to the other one. So it doesn’t quite match. I phoned and said so, but they basically said ‘tough’!

So, treasure your wheelchair services!

Sue

1 Like

i use a TiLite Aero Z, its incredibly light and very easy to propel along and manoeuvre (but not cheap) i tried an NHS wheelchair and found it to be very heavy and clunky, and on any kind of incline i had to have someone to give me a push (which i absolutely hate) but with my TiLite i can manage inclines on my own and when i’m out shopping with friends it’s me that has to wait for them to catch me up instead of the other way round :wink:

Jemma

3 Likes

Thanks jemma. I’ll check that out. I was wondering about inclines. Where I’m going on holiday, there are a few short, wooden bridges. Could be interesting!!

1 Like

I’ve been having a look Jemma. I don’t think your’s is folding, is it? I would need a folding one. These look pretty cool. Mind you, I’m not expecting to get one of these as a freebie from the Health Board!!

http://tilite.com/chairs_2gx.php#5

1 Like

Hi Poppy

No, my chair is a rigid frame but its very quick and easy to pop the wheels off when i need to put it into my car, i am in my chair full time which is why i opted to spend the extra money on having something lightweight (and at 25 years old, i wanted something a little more trendy) ask about the voucher scheme before you commit to having one of the chairs that they supply (it might suit your needs better ?)

Jemma

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I’m definitely clueless with this! I was dx end if last May, out of the blue. Was using a crutch by September after another relapse. That was what did the damage. I was 56 last month but my head is 26, :slight_smile: so yes, I’d love something trendy too! I’m in the Irish Republic and don’t think there’s any vouch scheme. I’ll be grateful for something lightweight that they’ll give me. I can check out eBay etc later when I know what I’m doing. Thanks so much.

1 Like

That sounds the same as mine, may have to ask about the power wheels

1 Like

Hi Poppy

My last chair was a Quickie Neon, which at the time I got it was one of the lightest folding chairs you could get. I was much easier to push than the clunky NHS one I had before that. It’s not cheap though I used the NHS wheelchair voucher scheme. This is where your wheelchair services assess your needs, then give you a voucher for the same cost as the chair they would have given you. You can use it to buy a voucher from a list of approved shops. The great thing about the scheme is that you can pay extra yourself on top of the voucher, and it gives you a lot more flexibility. The downside is that you’re responsible for paying for repairs, and they can be pretty expensive, so make sure you get some wheelchair insurance (I use Fish Insurance, who have been great). One little tip - try & get pneumatic tyres, rather than solid rubber ones, as they’re so much lighter & make it easier to push.

I’ve now gone for a fixed frame chair (a Quickie Helium), and I love it. It’s so much faster & nippier than a normal folding one. The backrest does fold down though, so if you take the wheels off it’s small enough to fit in the boot or back seat.

If you have any questions, let me know. Happy shopping!

Dan

1 Like