whats the difference

does anyone know the difference between a somatic illness, eg fibro and a neuroligical illness, re symptoms etc

I was dx with fibromyalgia and the symptoms are the same as MS and some of the medicine we are given is the same and also fibromyalgia is a neuroligical condition.

hey Karen might be the best person to ask on this one…she should see your thread later…x

according to my phychologist fibro and me are a phycosomatic illness, I always thought they were now accepted by the WHO as a neuro illness, all this is doing my head in, would fibro or me make my finger and toes move involuntary, would my soles of me feat buzz, while I accept certain symptom could be me or fibro some just dont fit

Fibromyalgia is a not classed as a somatic illness.

Fibromyalgia is seen as a rheumatic condition. A rheumatic condition is one that causes joint and soft tissue pain. To be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia you have to see a rheumatologist.

Fibromyalgia can come alongside other illnesses such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis and MS.

What is the difference between the symptoms of FMS and MS. The letter F lol.

This is the symptoms for FMS:

What are the signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?- Morning stiffness

• Headaches
  • Irregular sleep patterns
  • IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
  • Painful menstrual periods (Dysmenorrhea)
  • Hands and feet tingle and can feel numb
  • Restless leg syndrome
  • Sensitivity to cold or heat
  • Fibro fog (memory problems, cognitive problems)

The following signs and symptoms are also possible- Widespread pain

• Problems with vision
  • Nausea
  • Pelvic and urinary problems
  • Weight gain
  • Dizziness
  • Cold/flu like symptoms
  • Jaw pain and stiffness
  • Skin problems
  • Chest symptoms
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Myofascial pain syndrome (pain/tiredness in muscles and adjacent fibrous tissues)
  • Breathing problems

I would say the symptoms in red are found more in FMS then MS although Jaw pain could be linked with TN. Also flu like symptoms, I have heard people say with MS that when they are relapsing they feel as though they have the flu.

The other symptoms that are not red though I would say would certainly come alongside MS.

Fibromyalgia can be linked with other neurological disorders but is not classed as neurological per se. Such as cervical spinal cord compression(stenosis) and/or Chiari malformation.

I hope the above helps Lally. You can see that the symptoms are very very close to one another.

I’m sorry Lally but this makes me so angry!

ME has been accepted as a neurological condition by the WHO since 1969 (ICD10, G93.3).

Fibro and ME are very similar, so presumably Fibro is also a neurological condition too, although I don’t know a great deal about it.

Have you seen your GP for referral to a neurologist?

My feet buzz too and it is definitely a neurological symptom.

Hang in there hun and try to get some help with the physical side of things, you are not ‘somatising’…

Hugs,

Mags x

This is a really good website about functional neurological disorders: http://www.neurosymptoms.org

It covers all the different symptoms and explains why they can happen even when there is nothing actually wrong with the nervous system.

BTW, neuros who call ME a functional or psychosomatic disorder are seriously out of date and/or utterly cynical

Karen x

many thanks guys, not only am I fight this illness Im fighting the medical profession also, seeing a new neuro in march re this fits Im having, and Im not coming away from there until I get some damn answers

just a thought my syptoms

widespread pain

buzzing everywhere a bit like bees

itching

dizziness

loss of balance

incontinance

involuntary movement of toes and fingers

knees seem to bend to much backwards

burning pain like sunburn

itchy scalp

arms and legs sem to be attached to elastic bands so have limited movement

started with blackout sept

plus many more weird and wonderful symptoms

Your symptoms could match either FMS/ME/MS. Thats the trouble they are very similar. The symptoms i put up above there are just a few that are different to MS.

Doctors who say M.E. and Fibro are somitization are idiots. M.E. is classed as a neurological disorder with autonomic involvment. FMS is a rheumatalogical disorder NOT neurological, although it can come alongside neurological disorders. To be diagnosed for FMS you have to see a rheumatologist.

Wide spread pain can also be found in MS. However, people with MS can have Fibro too so its a bit of twix and between really. What is causing what.

With M.E. you can get lesions but they are not demylinating.

With M.E it is hard to recover from exercise.

With FIBRO exercise is good really good, especially swimming.

With MS the only problem with exercise is if one gets to hot and this can cause an exacerbation of MS symptoms but temporarily.

I have sent you a good link all about M.E. It is a really nasty disease no doubt about it.

Big hugs Mariax