Forum

WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, PLEASE?

I’ve just completed a course of ‘anti-depressive’ tablets (I was unaware that I was depressed). Life looks a bit ‘better’ now and my MS is ‘slightly less’ annoying (but I know that can change very suddenly). I have lived with this MS for 13 ‘or more’ years and ‘most times’ that I look at the ‘MS’ website, it ‘seems’ to be ‘full of depressive’ news. I KNOW AND ‘I HATE MS’ but that is very ‘negative’ - How about HAPPY & CHEAP NEWS? (don’t bother contributing, if you don’t want to).

(Slowly, SPRING IS COMING AND (HOPEFULLY) SUMMER WILL FOLLOW (as long as it is not too hot because I don’t ‘operate’ too well in heat - although I have been to Lanzarote ‘9 times’ and although it is ‘pretty hot there’ - there is a ‘warm’ breeze most of the time and with care, that can be ‘manageable’ most of the time - ‘and still get a tan!’. Unfortunately, that is not a ‘cheap’ option. I had a ‘good snooze’ yesterday (in the conservatory - taking care not to get too warm). My daughter (8 year old) was ‘happy’ about ‘going to school today’ - because she will see her ‘friends’ (At 55, I still remember that).

My ‘catheter’ (which was leaking) seems to be fixed now. I am able to ‘type’ this note now and although I’ve been to university, I didn’t even ‘know what a computer was at 8 years old’ - but my daughter is quite confident at using (for example) ’ the Build-a-Bear website’ - http://www.buildabear.co.uk/

What makes you happy?

Marcus.

(p.s. ‘sleep is cheap’ (and it ‘feels’ good when you have one))

Sorry for replying to my ‘own’ message and ‘not everyone will understand!’ but my wife’s heavy period is coming to an end and although I have never experienced one it does ‘affect’ my MS (I try to stay ‘away’ from ‘HEAT, TIREDNESS AND ANXIETY’)

Marcus. x.

Sorry for replying to my ‘own’ message and ‘not everyone will understand!’ but my wife’s heavy period is coming to an end and although I have never experienced one it does ‘affect’ my MS (I try to stay ‘away’ from ‘HEAT, TIREDNESS AND ANXIETY’)

Marcus. x.

What makes me happy?

My Wife Jo, my allotment, my Land Rover and the place I live. Oh any my local Pub!!!

I have just come in from my greenhouse and an endless supply of vit d its glorious here,aswell as walking too and from the doctors which is a 40 min walk…today is a GOOD day

Whatever it is, life is always far better in sunny weather. Doing well at something, (such as wall papering the newly boxed in pipes) or creating a new bed in the garden that is full of just the right flowers for the insects to visit - these things make me happy(and a teeny bit smug!).

Moira

what makes me happy, being with my husband Steve, we’ve been together for 35yrs, we’ve got a really happy mariage, and when I was DX 5yrs ago, he was my pillar, and still is, being with my friends and family, oh and white wine, not so much now though, take care, Jean

Hi Marcus

Being a part of it, 'life, the universe and everything ’

this is by George Bernard Shaw

This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it what I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

xxxxxxx

Hi Marcus,

the spring time, and lovely warm early evening times in the garden with my hubby and 2 grandchildren, is what makes me happy, along with a few other things, spending valuable time with family and friends, going to the cinema with my wonderful, caring step-daughter, and having PJ days snuggled up watching films with my hubby and step-daughter.

Libs

xxxx

I read this tweet the other day from philosopher Alain de Botton: “You normally have to be bashed about a bit by life to see the point of daffodils, sunsets and uneventful nice days.”

I like that a lot and I can definitely relate to it. So it’s usually the simple things that help make me happy - gazing at clouds or taking time to savour my first cup of tea of the day. Nature is definitely a good thing for my soul, and I always feel much happier when I’ve been surrounded by plants and light.

Laughing obviously is brilliant - my wife and I sometimes just fake laugh, which always leads to us mucking around and making us laugh for real. We also play ‘thankful tennis’, taking turns to say things we’re thankful for. It might not make us happier straight away, but I think it does help with our overall sense of wellbeing (and there’s plenty of studies which back that up).

I’ve also recently started doing mindfulness exercises (have a look at ‘getsomeheadspace.com’), and I’ve found that’s been good for me too. It’s helped me to appreciate and enjoy things more, as well as improving stress, pain and sleep.

And one final thing which is becoming rarer and rarer these days - a win for Portsmouth. I can’t remember the last time it happened!

Dan

Brilliant! Thanks to everyone - I feel ‘more positive now - my wife’s back (she’s going out to pilates)’. Life can be cool !

Marcus. x.

Hi Marcus, my 8 yr old daughter cooking with me, my 9 yr old sun playing his instruments, my wonderful hubby and gallons of rose. Glad your feeling better! Chis x

Ha,ha…I’m an English graduate and I’ve just spelt son wrong…even this makes me laugh tonight, tomorrow it could possibly make me swear. Sometimes a good swearing session makes me smile too!

I’m easy pleased, just a bar of chocolate + I’m over the moon. Woohoo Julsiexx

Hi Marcus.

Don’t really know, since retirement form work, nearly four years ago, which was my life and I miss every day, I have become a grumpy old sod. So I suppose being a grumpy old sod, gives me some sort of purpose in life. Which must make me happy. But, I miss my work like hell.

Retirement I don’t recommend it. Four years and nothing to show for it.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor.

Hi Marcus,

My : Two kids, partner, job, friends (with and without MS), garden, dog

Random Things : Clouds, the evenings getting longer, oak trees coming into leaf, Spurs, singing VERY loudly in the car to The Black Eyed Peas, smoked paprika, aubergines, roast lamb, abstract art, Graham Norton, fireworks, noticing something new on my regular commute, re-acquainting myself (and occasionally horrifying my kids in the process) with songs from my youth on You Tube - and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Thanks for the post - even thinking about the things that make me happy made me happy !

Lisa

Hi Marcus,

What makes me happy will be when my OH stops having the pain he is getting from his back and his knee. Then I’ll have the happy man back that I married nearly 27 years ago. That is along with the fact that we’re all still here to tell our stories and woes to each other.

Even though MS plays a big part in our lives there is so much worth reading, seeing, visiting and loads to do and enjoy before I curl my toes up!!!

We got a 4 month old kitten in early November. His playing makes me chuckly every time!

I was going through a very depressed phase at the time. An increase in anti-depressants and the arrival of a very active, inquisitive and playful kitten needing lot of my attention has pulled me out of the worst depths of depression.

Kittens on prescription I say!

Hi Marcus,

Bit late to this discussion, but although there are some things that lift my mood, including music, chocolate, seeing the flowers and hearing the birds, reading a good book, I don’t think this is quite the same as making me happy.

Temporary mood boost is relatively easy. Being “happy” with MS (or perhaps, in life at all) is more elusive, I think. I still don’t think I’ve cracked it, and I’ve often pondered what it means to be “happy”, with chronic illness, and whether it’s even possible. It’s probably a bit of a cliché, but I read, many years ago, that happiness is about learning to want what you have, NOT have what you want!

I do think there’s an element of truth to that. You can’t be happy if you’re always bemoaning what you’ve lost, or what you’ve not attained - but think you should. I think “counting blessings” (not necessarily in a religious way) is part of the knack.

Have you ever tried keeping a diary, ONLY of the positive things that happened? That’s the only rule: you don’t put down any of the cr*p, only the nice things. Even if you had a really awful day, you might write: “It was sunny”, or “My lunch was tasty”, even though there wasn’t much else to commend it.

Tina