Weird symptoms

Hi everyone have some weird symptoms which GP and Consultant say aren’t related to MS but wondered if anyone else has had similar. Yesterday I was typing at work and suddenly both my arms stopped working. I could feel people touching them and they would move if someone else moved them, but would not do what I wanted. They started working again after about 25 minutes. Everything was fine apart from tingling and throbbing until I went to the GP this morning and whilst in the waiting room my right arm went dead. Neither GP or his colleague knew what to do so asked for advice from consultant. When GP rang me back he said that the way this had manifested itself he felt was not related to MS, but had no other options for me. Just suggested I wait and see how things go over the weekend. Hope someone out there can help. Lorraine

I get exactly the same thing and mines definately my ms, my arm just hangs all limp and i cant do anything with it at all for 20 minutes or so,i loose all feeling in it,and it only happens every year or so, my leg also does the same at times, your dr doesnt sound as though he knows very much about ms at all, mine openly admits he doesnt.

I would say its your ms causing it,try not to panic, its scary when it 1st happens,but mines been happening for the last 10 years (ive been diagnosed 20),every now and then, and i can still use both arms normally.

Jaki xx

Thanks Jaki, I thought it would be the MS especially as I don’t want to cope with having something else as well. Lorraine.

Hi Lorraine,

Yes me too - definitely an MS thing, one on my arms stopped working once for about a year and then just started working again. When I could walk my legs used to just stop too. When the Neuro and GP can’t explain something or don’t want to acknowledge it as MS because they can’t do anything to help - they either say is MS or it has mothing to do with your MS - they simply don’t know ans people display different symptoms.

When it happens try to keep moving it and try get some physio exercises to help keep up the muscle strength as the nerve impulses are not enabling you to move it but if you don’t keep up with the exercises your muscle tone could suffer and it becomes even more difficult to get normal movement back especially if the stoppage is for a long period).

Best wishes, Mary

Yup, i get this also. And i am a drummer so it is pretty embarrassing when it happens mid set!

[quote=“vagen14”] suddenly both my arms stopped working. I could feel people touching them and they would move if someone else moved them, but would not do what I wanted.

Neither GP or his colleague knew what to do so asked for advice from consultant. When GP rang me back he said that the way this had manifested itself he felt was not related to MS, but had no other options for me. Just suggested I wait and see how things go over the weekend. Hope someone out there can help. Lorraine

[/quote]

The reason for this NOT being ms related is that it affected BOTH arms at the same time. With ms you find things happen in one arm or in one leg or on one side of the body.

You say you were typing the first time - I would get acces to work to check out if your seating is suitable and if you are properly positioned at the keyboard. Medically you would probably get best results from a physiotherapist and a masseur.

Liz

The reason for this NOT being ms related is that it affected BOTH arms at the same time. With ms you find things happen in one arm or in one leg or on one side of the body.

You say you were typing the first time - I would get acces to work to check out if your seating is suitable and if you are properly positioned at the keyboard. Medically you would probably get best results from a physiotherapist and a masseur.

Liz

[/quote]

Sorry Liz I disagree. From personal experience I’ve had symptoms on both sides at the same time and I’ve known many on here who have experienced the same. At the moment I have severe nettle-sting and buzzing in both of my feet. Just one example but I experience this sort of thing daily.

Pat x

Ive experienced both legs going dead as I called them. Woke up one evening to go to the loo and couldnt feel anything from the waist down. Used my hands to move my legs off the bed one by one and thought Im either going to crumple in a heap on the floor or Ill be able to stand. Well balance I did, but they wouldnt move, so I swung my hips from side to side whilst holding onto the wall. I have a narrow passage so could bounce from one side to the other. Getting on the loo was a nightmare, I had to throw myself onto it, from a backwards position. nearly broke the loo, then had problems getting upright again. After I managed to swing myself back into bed, I woke up next morning with legs throbbing and hurting yet I could feel them again and they moved as I wanted them to. I was so frightened in case it happened again and it hasnt but its rather odd how it came on from nowhere then back to normal sensation next morning. Neuro took note but didnt say anything other than if it happens again let me know.

You are not alone, from what Ive read, lots of other msers have similar too.

I hope yours start behaving and you never experience that again.

Best wishes

bren

x