Weekend Brain Teaser

Three men check into a hotel. The manager charges them £30 for one room with three beds which they share. The men go to their room and settle in, after a few moments the manager realises a mistake. The room rate was only £25. He over charged the three men, £5. The manager sends for the porter to return the £5 to the three men. On his way to the room the porter realises that he can’t split £5 between 3 men evenly so he decides to give each man £1 and pocket the remaining £2 as a tip. The porter returns the £1 to each man. In the three mens’ minds they each paid £9 for the room, or a total of £27, include the £2 tip the porter kept and that equals £29. But, what happened to the other £1 ? V

It is all to do with percentages but this is Saturday so my brain can’t actually explain it. Liz

efb wrote:

It is all to do with percentages but this is Saturday so my brain can’t actually explain it. Liz

:?: :? Perception, I thought… think V

My mind seems to open later on in the day for some strange reason… Anyway, I think that the porter is a bit tasty and has ripped them off. The room at the reduced rate should have cost the three eight pounds each with the elusive quid left over. The porter is divvying up the difference in the fiver rather than the whole 25 quid. The porter should have just taken a quid and then ir would have been a nice 8 x 3 = 24 and the elusive quid is his to steal.

Please do not expect algebraic formula - I failed dysmally at that in school…

crumbs wrote:

Please do not expect algebraic formula - I failed dysmally at that in school…

It is perception not mathematic formula :lol: :lol: :lol: Agree, the porter should have returned the fiver, they probably would have told him to keep it for his honesty :wink: V

So I am not right then? Nooooooo ;-(

The men should have paid £25/3 for the room, they actually paid £9. The difference is (9-25/3) x 3 = £2 which the porter pocketed.

Tonto wrote:

The men should have paid £25/3 for the room, they actually paid £9. The difference is (9-25/3) x 3 = £2 which the porter pocketed.

Correct Another teasmaid on the way. :smiley: … yet again virtual :lol: :lol: It is a play on words to lead you to believe the answer is £30 and tricks you into adding the £2 instead of subtracting it as follows: 3 x £9 = £27 minus the £2 = £25 which is what they paid for the room. If you take what they ultimately paid (£25) and add the £3 (the £1 each man received back) and add the £2 the porter kept as a tip, you reach the £30 that was originally paid.

The additional pound is in the .333r the men paid for The room. 25 devided by 3 = 8.333r Now they did not know the room had been reduced to 25 pounds as the thieving porter just gave them a quid each thus there understanding was that the room was 9 pounds each. Because they where robbed by that pesky porter (not first time he has does this either I bet!)As they were unaware that the room rate was 8.3333. When the cheeky chappy gave them a quid, they had in reality they paid 9.333333. That makes 27.99999r and the porter nicked the the last two quid owed, or 66.6666p owed to each… 66.6666r is 1.9999p.

strudders wrote:

The additional pound is in the .333r the men paid for The room. 25 devided by 3 = 8.333r Now they did not know the room had been reduced to 25 pounds as the thieving porter just gave them a quid each thus there understanding was that the room was 9 pounds each. Because they where robbed by that pesky porter (not first time he has does this either I bet!)As they were unaware that the room rate was 8.3333. When the cheeky chappy gave them a quid, they had in reality they paid 9.333333. That makes 27.99999r and the porter nicked the the last two quid owed, or 66.6666p owed to each… 66.6666r is 1.9999p.

Or It is a play on words to lead you to believe the answer is £30 and tricks you into adding the £2 instead of subtracting it as follows: 3 x £9 = £27 minus the £2 = £25 which is what they paid for the room. If you take what they ultimately paid (£25) and add the £3 (the £1 each man received back) and add the £2 the porter kept as a tip, you reach the £30 that was originally paid. V That porter has a lot to answer for :lol: :lol: :lol:

crazyonions wrote:

They should have gone to Beach View, its £15 a night for three (including breakfast) and the daughter is nice too, parkings a bit tricky though … Stanley xx

:lol: :lol: :lol: