(waxing) lyrical - please join in

i really like songs with good lyrics especially when played by good musicians

in my car today i heard an elbow song… i’m 5 years ago and 3000 miles away…

made me think where was i 5 years ago? i was in bulgaria (dont know how far away)

looking forward to seeing what everybody else likes

carole x

Hi Carole, My fav is Simon and Garfunkle Homeward Bound I’m sitting in a railway station,
Got a ticket for my destination
On a tour of one night stands
My suitcase and guitar in hand
And every stop is neatly planned
For a poet and a one man band

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thought’s escaping
Home, where my music’s playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me

Everyday’s an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And every stranger’s face I see
Reminds me that I long to be

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thought’s escaping
Home, where my music’s playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me
Timeless! Peter

Hi Carole, Intesting thread…

One of my favourite lyrics is in a song called ‘the never-ending why’ by a band called Placebo the lyric is:

‘Time will help you through, but it doesn’t have the time, to give you all the answers to the never-ending why’ Always makes me think i’m over-thinking most things in life, and there aren’t many answers anyway…time is what is needed.

Also Damien Rice’s song ‘cocunut skins’ and the lyric…

‘you can wait for ages, watch your compost turn to coal, time is contagious-everybody’s growing old’ The whole of this song is excellent just thought this lyric is quite clever.

Laura x

Although I am too young for its original release, I love Bridge Over Troubled Water. The lyrics make me cry every time. My hubby is my bridge and my rock and my security blanket all rolled up into one.

But dont tell him I said that okay! !

Have you heard the Johnny Cash version, that make me bawl the very first time I heard it

Sonia x

I still find these lyrics terribly moving after all this time (still available on youtube).

ERNIE (THE FASTEST MILKMAN IN THE WEST)
Benny Hill - 1971

Hi Carole,

I really like the line " i was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth" which is from Substitute by The Who

But my absolute favourite is anything Nick Cave has ever said, the only tragedy is that I’m not married to him.

BeckyX

P.S When I just read whammel’s post I spat my drink out and nearly fell off my chair laughing, it was too funny when you’re not prepared for it!!

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I’m miserable now. Bizarrely this always cheers me up! Love, love, love The Smiths.

thanks everybody for joining in

whammel - i remember ernie very well

simon and garfunkel are timeless. i love kathy’s song

johnny cash “hurt” was brilliant and the video made me cry

as for the smiths " i want to put my hand on your mammary gland" (sung by my son who was 17 at the time)

i’m sure i’ll think of more when i’m not tipsy (its friday) and not tired

carole x

I’m going to join in the Smiths appreciation fest with “I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice, you can pin and mount me like a butterfly” - Reel around the Fountain. I also like most of the Cure lyrics especially “dressed up to the eyes, its a wonderful surpise see your shoes and your spirits rise,” Friday I’m in love. Both bands take me back to my teenage years but I love them still.

I feel much the same about Victoria Wood’s ‘Lets Do It’ - “bend me over backwards on my hostess trolley” it always make me smile:D

Also agree with all the comments about The Smiths.

The Cure - I heard Boys Don’t Cry yesterday morning on the radio, good way to start the day :slight_smile:

Alison Moyet! Invisible - epic song x

It has to be Longer than by Dan Fogelberg, so sweet a song but it realy makes you think.

barbara.xx

It has to be Longer than by Dan Fogelberg, so sweet a song but it realy makes you think.

barbara.xx

she has a snake for a pet and an amulet, she was breeding a dwarf but she isnt done yet. she has grey-green skin, a doll with a pin. i told her she was alright but she couldnt come in.

frank zappa

Thank you …I do my best!!

Two Ton Ted from Teddington

c/o The Baker’s Van

For me it has to be ROD STEWART ------------- Mandolin Wind luv that song n the singer. Carmel x

was mandolin wind on every picture tells a story?

all these are bringing so many memories back.