Walking

Awaiting test results atm. My question is that when I have my bad days I walk really slowly and sort of ‘roll’ from side to side. My neurologist did comment on my gait. Anyway my walking is very very slow and no matter how I try to condition my brain to go faster I can’t. My husband is good and helps me but I think he feels that if he tries to drag me I will go faster… it doesn’t happen. Is this a normal MS problem? Thank you

Hi Kim,

The difficulty in walking is a common sign of neurological conditions. If muscles aren’t getting the right messages then the body will try to compensate by using alternative muscle groups. This results in a leg swinging away from the body or “gait”.

Your husband means well but pulling you along won’t help in the slightest.

Best wishes,

Anthony

Hi Kim,

You don’t mention what type of MS you have.

I was diagnosed 2013 & in the years since I have gone from walking, working & driving, to not being able to do any of these things.& I am now in a wheelchair. I never had relapse remitting MS but primary progressive & now secondary progressive.

With regard to the walking, I kept feeling 1 leg was longer than the other as when I walked, my right hip would slide outwards when I straightened that leg. It was found that as I took a step with my right leg,my weight would go on the right side of my right foot & when I was sitting I couldn’t put my right heel on the floor.

I have been given calipers to straighten it all out, while I plod slowly along indoors with my walker, & it has helped a little but slowly I can envision myself not walking again.

So all I can suggest is to walk as often as you can, no matter how slow or how difficult & frustrating it feels

Good luck

Allison

1 Like

Anthony is it normal to have some days when it it easier to walk than others. It seems that sometimes I walk without ‘thinking’ and on bad days I have to concentrate on each step I take. Stepping off the pavement is even a big deal! Dizziness is also rife. I am sure ppl think I am drunk

Hi Alison I have yet to be diagnosed I am waiting for the Lumbar puncture results to come back. Uneven ground, hills etc are a terrible struggle for me. At my worst I use a wheelchair. Also the pains in my feet, ankles and knees do not help. All I see is my walking getting worse and worse. 7 years I have been trying to get answers. Thank you for your reply.

I’ve just read this thread and realised that both Kim and Alison are new here. Welcome to the club no one wants to belong to.

Unless of course you are awaiting a diagnosis and even MS is better than limbo.

Kim

Anthony is quite right, your husband won’t help by trying to speed you up. So you’ll have to slow him down instead. When I was still walking, I used a crutch and my husband’s arm. This way we naturally walked at the same pace. Once you have your LP and results, hopefully things will become clearer and you’ll be able to move on. Meanwhile, have you seen a physiotherapist to help with your gait? Your GP should be able to refer you, but there may be a waiting list. You could (if funds allow it) see a physio privately.

Alison

How brilliant that your first post on here was in reply to someone else regarding their problem. I totally agree with you that walking is vital. Whatever walking you can do, keep at it. I can only walk a few metres with the help of FES and a walker. The rest of the time I use a wheelchair, but I persevere with the little bit of walking because it’s better to do even that than nothing.

Sue

1 Like

Thank you Sue I am so glad I have joined here, with my diagnoses of Fibro, Lyme disease and now maybe this I didn’t know where to turn. I am not afraid of a diagnoses of MS I have had enough years of watching my decline. Even the last year had got worse. The wisdom of this group I feel will help me greatly. Kind regards

I have different walking problems each day, my physio has introduced me to a wobble board which I am going to buy. I strengthens my balance, stretch, posture and overall core health.

oddly my right leg feels much weaker than my left one but when the physio did some tests he found the left one was stronger than the right one - Allison - these categories of types of m.s. are not always accurate. Primary Progressive does not lead to Secondary Progressive. Relapsing - remitting m.s. may develop into Secondary Progressive.

I know what you mean about using a crutch and your husband’s arm. On days when I don’t want to use my rollator I use a stick and Hubby’s arm. Even then I have to tell him to slow down from time to time. When I do use my rollator, which is most of the time these days, I sometimes find myself trying to go faster than I should. I have to force myself to slow down to avoid tiring too quickly. The advantage of the rollator is that I can still walk around and I can sit down and rest when I get tired.

Hi Kim.

Yes.

I don’t know why, but some days are easier than others. My mobility can even vary throughout the day but that may be because of loosening up or tiredness.

If I’m not on a perfectly level surface I have to concentrate on each step because I can’t rely on my muscles to save me from a stumble. It’s the same with road curbs, with the added complication of one eye damaged by optic neuritis and a cataract which means that I can’t judge depth or size accurately.

And being thought of as drunk, as we sway across the snug in a pub, is just an added bonus. That’s no reason for giving up alcohol though.

Regards

Anthony