Walking off course as if drunk

Hi everybody. I’m wondering if this is unrelated to MS or if anyone else has experienced the same. I sometimes, though not often suffer from a bit of vertigo and nausea but I’m familiar with that so just deal with it till it passes. My question relates to walking into things - doorjambs for instance. It is as if I can’t plot a straight course and misjudges where I’m am in relation to objects around me. I also feel unsteady- as if I’m on slope when I’m on the flat and therefore misjudge my footing which leads to a lot of stumbling. Please let me know if anyone else experiences this. Thanks

Hi Have you been under a lot of stress? I believe it’s called Spatial Awareness. I’ve had twice in the 10years I’ve had Ms. The first time was my first episode of my ms I kept walking into door frames etc it lasted a couple of days then vanished. My 2nd was 3 years ago we were on our way to catch flight for holiday and were late and only just made it as flight was closing That’s why I asked about stress. The temperature also changes symptoms but I expect you know that. I’ve just experienced the ms hug for twenty mins agonising pain Thank god it’s gone , Have you had ms long? Have you asked your ms nurse?

1 Like

Forgot to say when we arrived on holiday I had it for 7 days very annoying as I was nearly walking in to people at our restaurant.

1 Like

yes i have that problem. there is a circle of bruises on my legs where i walk into the dining table corners. it’s not as if i’m not used to the layout of the house, i’ve lived here 20 years. good job i don’t care about imperfections!

1 Like

Yes black and blue comes to mind. xxx

1 Like

When first diagnosed it was a common symptom for me. I still have it but not as bad.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses - I was beginning to think I’m just very clumsy all of a sudden.

Hi,

Yes, I get it. My friends refer to it as my ‘wobbly walls’ symptom as once I was walking down a narrow hall just bouncing from one wall to the next! We were all laughing, I was sober.

Jen

1 Like

I used to get this years ago. My advice, get a walking stick. It will improve your walking, improve your confidence and act as a signal to others that you are not drunk. The stick helped me tremendously. Derek

1 Like

MS affect your balance and messes with the messages from the brain to your limbs. So the brain says “this step is 2 inches” and your foot thinks it 3 ins…cue stumbling and tripping. Gets worse if your tired, I find. Same with the walls…brain says one thing but body didn’t get the memo!

1 Like

I regularly bounce off the door frames. I was told that my balance issues stem from poor signalling from my lower limbs, toes / feet / legs. I have learned that normal functions of balance require continuous feed back signals. You only have to watch toddlers learning how complicated staying upright is.

Good luck

Mick

1 Like