Very unpatriotic (not ms)

I know it’s very unpatriotic of me, especially with me being Scottish, but I really don’t like Andy Murray. I just can’t find nothing about him to like, just wish he would smile a bit. Cheryl:)

Hi Cheryl,

I’m sure we’ve talked about this before - probably the last two Wimbledons - but I don’t like him, either.

Whenever I’ve seen Rafa, or Roger Federer, or more recently Novak Djokovic interviewed, it’s always struck me what charming, gracious, well-balanced, young men they seem to be - and how little (so far) wealth and fame have made them arrogant. I’ve noticed how they always compliment their opponent - whether he lost or won - always giving respect where it’s due, and not seeming angry or resentful.

I think even the young McEnroe, although he was a brat on court, still showed flashes of personality and humour. And Borg, at the other extreme, though he was notoriously cold on court, never seemed to be so in a surly, bad-mannered way.

Andy seems to have a permanent chip on his shoulder, doesn’t he? As if the world owes him.

It’s such a shame, when pretty much the only British interest in world class tennis is so lacking in charisma. I find myself willing him NOT to win. I want to be able to say: “Such a nice chap, and so well-deserved!”

Not: “Pity he’s a [substitute own word here]”

T.

x

Hi All.

I have to stand up for him.

He is Scotish and the best in Britain.

He hates intervews and finds it hard,prefers not to be in the limelight.

Yes he could smile more,but he is a typical dour Scotsman.

So him today and he looked like he was going to win,saddly he let us down.

He seems like Colin Montgomery good, but lacks the killer touch.

Take Care.

Chris.

Oh Chris, I know where you are coming from, that is exactly what my dad says, but I just can’t support him. Tina, yes I agree with every word you say about him, and yes, we’ve had this conversation before and sure we will again, roll on Wimbledon , lol. Cheryl:)

So glad the surly git lost today. Have never liked him and will not support him just because he is British, although he always makes a point of avoiding that tag and makes his own point of calling himself Scottish. Well that’s fair enough, Scottish pride and all that, but I note he didn’t turn down the massive amount of LTA funding he was given at the start of his career, he was glad to be British then! He has no pride in playing Davis Cup for this country and will only ever participate if he absolutely has to, like last year when he HAD to play in order to qualify for the Olympic team. I hope he never wins a Grand Slam and I always cheer for his opponent, whoever it is. Give me Rafa any day…please!! In fact I wouldn’t say no to most of the Spanish players. Or indeed Uncle Toni!

Hi,

Got to admit I’m with you all the way with regards to what Susie and Tina have to say about Andy. I love the tennis but he does absolutely nothing at all for it. Bring back the olden’s.

Janet x

Watched Andy Murray today- he played a good match but I can’t warm to him either,I love the scottish accent but I’m afraid when he speaks in his monotone voice it leaves me cold. Give me Roger Federer anyday!!!

i agree dont like him ethier

Arent people being a bit harsh? He is obviously not comfortable (shy and socially inhibited) and perhaps moreso for being under the relentless pressure of the public spotlight. Its a kind of disability I’d say, But of course I can understand that this does nothing to make him charming or attractive.

[quote=Upytupy]Oh Chris, I know where you are coming from, that is exactly what my dad says, but I just can’t support him. Tina, yes I agree with every word you say about him, and yes, we’ve had this conversation before and sure we will again, roll on Wimbledon , lol. Cheryl:)

Hi Cheryl.

Listen to us oldies,your Dad included we are wise beyond our years.

TTFN

Chris.

How can you ‘hate’ someone you don’t know?!

I think he’s shy, not keen on interviews. He’s probably read loads of these kind of posts so knows how the public think of him!

Perhaps the awful experience he had as a small boy, (Dumblane) has had a profound effect/affect on him.

I’ll continue to support him, basically because we have no one else!!

Murray to miss the Davis Cup match with Slovakia next month due to ‘niggling injuries’ picked up at the Aussie Open. Well well, what a surprise - NOT!! This was so predictable from Murray, he has no interest or pride in playing for his country and this announcement today was expected by many. All Murray is interested in is glory for himself.

Hello.

He’s alright as far as tennis players go. And how he has Ivan Lendl so complete the grumper look… I like the fire he maintains given his almost impossible position in fourth place after Nadal, Djokovic and Fed. He is the best this island has had in a long long time. He is much better than bloody Tim Henman who has made megabucks from being sh!te based on the fact he is English.

Bye!

Steffi

[quote=“susie27”]

Murray to miss the Davis Cup match with Slovakia next month due to ‘niggling injuries’ picked up at the Aussie Open. Well well, what a surprise - NOT!! This was so predictable from Murray, he has no interest or pride in playing for his country and this announcement today was expected by many. All Murray is interested in is glory for himself.

[/quote] That’s a bit mean…If he has an injury, he would let his country down by playing badly. Far better he pulls out, rests and lets someone else have his place.

WE, of all people, shouldn’t think badly of people who say they’re unable to carry on!!!

Is it because ‘he’s a mummy’s boy?’ I have played tennis and (as a Scot) it does make me feel good when he is winning but although he has a girlfriend? - his (mother seems to always be in the background) - I do like Andy Murray (but it is better when he wins!)

Marcus.

[/quote]That’s a bit mean…If he has an injury, he would let his country down by playing badly. Far better he pulls out, rests and lets someone else have his place.

WE, of all people, shouldn’t think badly of people who say they’re unable to carry on!!!

[/quote]

Call me an old cynic but imo these injuries are purely tactical. There was no sign of anything physically wrong at the Aussie Open and no details have been given now. Murray just didn’t want to play Davis Cup, it’s not the first time he’s pulled out and probably won’t be the last.