Forum

Using The Toilet

Hi all,

Hubby has tremors and is finding it more and more difficult to use the toilet on his own.

If we had a carer come for just that I can’t see how we would do it as you never know when you will use the toilet.
When I am home of course I assist him.

Any ideas…

Thanks

Caz

hi caz

it sounds as though you need advice from a professional.

i do know who though but hopefully someone else will reply whos brain is not as full of holes as mine

carole x

Hi Caz

You could do with some advice from an Occupational Therapist. They can assess your husbands ability to transfer on and off the toilet and provide appropriate equipment or adaptations (raised seat/frame/grab rail) to promote safety and independence. I’m not sure how you go about accessing the service in your area but if you speak to your GP or contact social services they should be able to refer your husband for a full assessment.

Good luck

Hi Caz

You could do with some advice from an Occupational Therapist. They can assess your husbands ability to transfer on and off the toilet and provide appropriate equipment or adaptations (raised seat/frame/grab rail) to promote safety and independence. I’m not sure how you go about accessing the service in your area but if you speak to your GP or contact social services they should be able to refer your husband for a full assessment.

Good luck

Hi Caz,

You have identified the toilet as THE area of need and worry about getting help with care for this issue. Might I suggest that there are probably other needs too? Can hubby make a sandwich, dress himself, get to the local shops? All these things and more can be added to toiling needs for a personal assistant/carer to be concerned with. Adult Social Care (from your local council) will do a full assessment and decide how many hours are appropriate. If some aids will solve the problem they can help with those too. You can self refer here in Leeds but otherwise your GP will able to help.

Jane

Thanks all for your comments.

During the day hubby uses the commode which although has arms is not great for your support.

He has Zimmer in front of him but balance is an issue. Not much that can be done with the commode. He cannot go upstairs to the toilet with pull down rail until the evenings as he falls down the stairs and he needs my support and we don’t as yet have a stair lift.

I will have to let the OT know when we next meet.

Caz

Caz, Get onto the OT - tell them it is ‘urgent’. lf hubby falls and ends up breaking bones - [ l know - worse scenario - but it happened to me] he then will need 24/7 care. lf they can’t help with stairlift or thru the floor lift - then they may be able to fit you a loo downstairs. These days they can put a loo in almost anywhere. l have two neighbours who have had a loo and washbasin fitted in what was a cupboard under the stairs. lt was done in a couple of days without much upheaval.

Are there better commodes - adjustable heights and better leverage for standing up. Make a fuss Caz. lf you don’t ask [firmly] you will not get.

All the best to you and your hubby

Hi, I understand your problems only too well…been there, got the t-shirt etc!

In our area…Calderdale (Halifax) if we need a new referral, we have to ring social services on their Gateway to Care number.

There is always a waiting list, but if you express how very urgent the toileting needs are, you should be fast tracked to an OT.

I am at present waiting for a close-o-mat loo to be installed, as cleaning up is a real difficulty. .I waited 3 months to be seen, but it wasnt as urgent as your case as I am rarely left on my own. I now have a suprapubic catheter, so thats one thing sorted, but when I need to go no 2s, I need help to get onto the commode. As you say, we never know when we may need to go`.

I have tried hoisting myself from wheelie to commode, but didnt do a good job and got into even more bother!

Hope you get sorted very soon.

pollxx