Toothache

Hi,

I haven’t been diagnosed with MS, but am on my neurologists ‘watch’ list. (I have a couple of experiences which seem to be episodes but have thankfully gone away again, and an MRI showed lots of white spots on my brain and spine) I haven’t mentioned it too the neurologist because it seems a bit silly, but I have been having agonisingly sharp toothache which lasts a few seconds then goes away again, a few times a day. My dentist can’t find anything wrong with my teeth or jaw. Does any one know if this could be related to MS or not?

I know its strange but reading a few of these posts for the first time has me wondering? I also sometimes feel as if somone is holding a lighter to my leg, but when I check its not hot and there’s nothing visibly wrong. I didn’t mention that to the neurologist at either appointment (I’ve had 2) because it seemd so weird I just wrote it off!

Thanks for your time reading this.

Hi. Have you looked into trigeminal neuralgia? Its one of my main symptoms. It can very often be mistaken for toothache leading to unnecessarily extractions. Apparently it can be very common in ms. Will post a couple of links for you when I am nnt on my phone. hth angela x

Hi Rachael, and welcome.

I’m glad your dentist didn’t start whipping your teeth out, despite the lack of evidence anything was wrong, as toothache (or what certainly feels like toothache) can be an MS issue, yes. It could, in reality, be a type of facial nerve pain called trigeminal neuralgia. This causes sometimes severe pain, but can be experienced as toothache, or even earache. Sometimes people have had extensive (and expensive) dental work done, without relief, only for the realisation to dawn that the problem was probably never with their teeth in the first place.

Abnormal sensations - e.g. of heat or burning, or even electricity are not uncommon, either. It’s just nerve misfirings, and not an indication there really is any injury or inflammation at the (apparent) site of the pain.

I get “sunburn” feelings a lot - which might be understandable, after recent weather. But when it’s mid-February, and the sore place is not hot, and there’s nothing to see, you know it can’t be genuine sunburn.

Tina

Hi Tina us absolutely right…TN was one of my first symptoms and has remained as an old friend. I get, what feels like, toothache, jaw ache, ear ache etc. Catherine Xx Ps I also get the sunburn feeling, along with crawling, itching and stabbing sensations all down the right side if my body.

Hi Tina us absolutely right…TN was one of my first symptoms and has remained as an old friend. I get, what feels like, toothache, jaw ache, ear ache etc. Catherine Xx Ps I also get the sunburn feeling, along with crawling, itching and stabbing sensations all down the right side if my body.

Thank you all! That helps a lot. And I should maybe say thank you to my dentist for not over reacting. I’ve also been feeling like bugs are crawling over my body a lot, so that’s potentially that explained too. I’m very novice to this, but is there anything you can do to limit/ease it without seeing the neurologist (I will in the long run, but for now?).