Forum

Toddling along! That was lucky...

Hi guys, do you ever think - of course you do’That was lucky’ I have been ‘toddling’ along doing what I can, probably doing too much but that is my way! Stop waffling; last night I stumbled, it was just for a second BUT time stopped as I tried to correct my movement. In that second I felt sick about what was going to happen, fear… I managed to move my feet quickly and then sit downQuickly? Instinctively? I didn’t think I could react this way so ‘that was lucky’ Seize the day guys and take careM

M - I’ve pretty much stopped handling anything sharp nowadays as I’ve managed to cut myself on razors, kitchen knives etc. - this from the woman that manages to get paper cuts most weeks, I think I might need to get those scissors for kids with the rounded ends :smiley: After all, I can get faint at the sight of blood, the idea of feeling faint and with vertigo, well who knows what could happen!

I think my worst near miss was having a wobble on the pavement and in a split second I ended up stood in the middle of a bus lane - I still remember how much my heart raced after that one.

I hope your heart-rate has returned to normal now, I suspect most of us do have those moments :slight_smile:

Sonia x

Oooh scary M!!! Glad you managed to save yourself darling!

Pat xx

Not fun M - glad you’re OK! Teresa xx

M, I’ve also started to think “whew that was a close one”. It’s a great relief isn’t it when you realise how close you came to disaster or humiliation. I seem to spend a bit of time stopped still with both hands on my stick trying to get my balance and bearings, ensuring my brain and body are working together. Glad it turned out okay for you.

Cath x

I’ve had a couple of close calls lately too…isn’t it amazing how much whizzes through your brain in those few seconds? My legs are really covered in scars from all the nasty falls I’ve had over the last few years… I never really know what’s made me fall…legs just get tangled up I think…it’s falling down steps that I find most frightening. The good news is though…I’m really finding that I don’t fall so often these days…probably only because I don’t walk so often and I’m SO SO slow when I do…but every cloud has a silver lining! Nina x

Woke this morning feeling down, then I read this forum. I’m now having a ‘Polly Anna’ time instead of feeling sorry for myself you guys. You even made mefor all the things that I have, I may toddle at the speed of a snail and could be blown of course with a blink BUT here we are. Have a great dayM

I agree Nina… I haven’t had a fall in ages… but I think it’s really because I hardly walk outside at all and I walk SO slowly that I can always save myself!

Had most of my falls before dx when I was walking normally but legs would get all tangled up or I’d just tip over sideways!

Pat x

Everyone’s saying this is the last day of summer and it was actually misty in London this morning… I remembered the lines about Autumn… ‘the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness’ although can’t remember what it’s from.

Have a great day M…

Love Pat xx

Found it:

From John Keats’ poem, To Autumn, 1820:

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss’d cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o’er-brimm’d their clammy cells.

Pat x

Hi, yeh, I had many, many that was lucky moments. Every time i fell or tripped, I would analyze what I did and if there was a better way I could`ve done something. I did find safer ways, usually.

Our safety is of the utmost importance.

If you think things are getting too difficult, ask to see an OT or physio, yeh?

luv Pollx

Hello M, yes there must be quite a few of us in the same situation. Generally we are very careful and will plan the most minor of movements. We hang on to bars and rails, cling to our sticks and watch our feet. Then BANG! It bites us in the bum when we least expect it. Shuffling down the ramp on foot from the doctors’ surgery, chatting to my wife. I felt it go. Ressistance was useless but I clung to the bar nontheless. In slow motion one’s posterior clumped onto the damp floor. It took three doctors to lift me up. Put it down to experience, best wishes, Steve.

These unforseen wobbly moment are a nightmare, and make you look, and feel, as if you are four sheets to the wind! My advice; take 2 baclofen tabs, sink a few large glasses of red, go to bed about 10pm with a good book then sleep like a baby…until about 4am. 5 hours is all you need…chin up.

I’m too frightened to have any alcohol, I’ve had enough spectacular incidents without and I’m one of those real light weight individuals who can’t manage even one normal unit of alcohol without getting totally plastered. Never mind, I’ll stick to tea. Anyway take care folks.

Cath xx

Cheers guys you are the bestit’s the planning (mentally) of every tiny slow move - nothing is automatic! It p**** me off, somewhat where has Polly Anna gone? Not to worry, what would I do without you? Take care, have a good weekendM

Hi again.

Not sure if you mean me or another member called Pollyanna, who used to frequent these boards?

If tis I, then I`m still here until tomorrow, when me and 2 carers are off to sunny (please, please) Fiely on the north Yorkshire coast, for a whole week!

Hubby will think he`s gone deaf!

pollx

Enjoy it Poll, hope you get some decent weather, and try to stay safe.

Cath xx

Hi Poll, I meant the charecter from the book ‘Pollanna’ my brain wasn’nt putting 2 and you together. I wish you a lovely break awayand good weekend to allM

Hi M

Sorry to hear this, glad you are ok, but scary for you. I am all behind with the posts cos I have had a c…p few weeks with yet another infection that floored me, and all before wint er even starts! Hopefully I am back to stay.

Poll I am obviously too late, but I hope you have a great holiday.

Pam x

Hi Pam hon, sorry to hear you have been unwell… YES I hope you are back to stay as well.

Lovely seeing you on here,

Have a good weekend,

Pat xx