Tip Of The DAY.............

I was chatting the other week to an elderly lady and she explained to grip door handles was hard,so I eplxained what I do.I have door knobs and some are easy to use some are a little stiffer.I told her use thick elastic bands wrapped around the handles and it would give her some grip.

Well today Social Services called with my bed riser and adjustable stool.So I sat at the kitchen sink and the chubby older chap then adjusted the legs.I sat again at the kitchen sink and I didnt realise my knees were jammed up against the cupboard.He then said an elderly lady gave him this tip.Open the cupboard under the sink then sit,wow I had leg room and sat comfortable.Now he said put your feet on the inside of the cupboard and rest them on the bottom shelf.Oh gosh what a brilliant tip.

Well well well how comfortable that was.

Just thought I would share and would ask if others had any handy tips that could help me and others with out daily lives and chores.

Charlie,x

Hi Charlie, glad you got your bed riser and stool. These are great tips which I will bear in mind. But sorry I can’t think of any myself. Btw can I ask what a bed riser is? Cheryl:-)

Hey Cheryl,a bed riser is a set of bars,one bit is slid under the matress…

Eeeshh trying to explain it here is a link:

http://www.daysmobility.co.uk/Easy_Lever_Bed_Rail.htm

The arched bit sticks up beside your bed then the other piece goes under the matress to haul yourself up out of bed.

Im fuddled today and my brain is just clogged up.

Charlie,x

The other function of a bed riser (aka bed rail) is to stop people falling out.
Some divan bases, when fitted with a memory foam topped mattress (or even a “topper”) are just high enough to give the shorter person a problem if there is not full muscular control over the limbs (like in MS or Parkinsons). It can be very easy to roll over the edge of the bed when an arm or leg will not respond in time to stop the roll.

My wife (Parkinsons) would not consider doing without hers, but I do not need one yet (but I can see the day coming). The only downside is that the bed does not look quite so neat when it is made up.

Geoff

Haha,

Your (and that lady’s) under-sink cupboard obviously aren’t in the state mine is.

Don’t other people use cupboards to put things in? (Other than their legs, I mean).

It does remind me of a particularly horrendous flight to New York - well before I had MS, or at least well before I’d begun to suspect anything.

My lovely company had booked me what turned out to be a bulkhead seat. Unlike many bulkhead seats these days, it didn’t have MORE leg room, but none at all. The bulkhead, however, did have a locker in it.

Halfway across, myself and the lady next to me opened the locker, and shoved our feet in!

As an aside, I’ve been using the rubber-band trick for bottle-tops/jars for years.

Tina

Hi , thanks for that explanation of a bed riser, that sounds very useful,i I’m ok for the moment but yes may benefit from one of these myself, since I often hold onto the bedside table to help me turn over. Maybe I’m being stupid (that wouldn’t be unusual) but how do you get into bed in the first place if the bed riser is in the way? Yes Geoff that is a good point about not falling out. As for the under sink cupboard I do have things in it but it would be tidy enough to put my legs on the shelf if I moved the soap powder over a bit but my legs are too stiff to easily lift onto the shelf, lol. Cheryl:-)

Haha, mine is not only full of stuff, but has a pipe running right across the front, as well!

I stupidly assumed all the houses were plumbed that way, but when I looked after a neighbour’s cats for a few days, and the cat food was under the sink, I noticed theirs was fine - no stupid pipe in the way.

Looks like the plumber who did mine had just got back from the pub!

T.

x

Upytupy wrote: Hi , thanks for that explanation of a bed riser, that sounds very useful,i I’m ok for the moment but yes may benefit from one of these myself, since I often hold onto the bedside table to help me turn over. Maybe I’m being stupid (that wouldn’t be unusual) but how do you get into bed in the first place if the bed riser is in the way? Yes Geoff that is a good point about not falling out. As for the under sink cupboard I do have things in it but it would be tidy enough to put my legs on the shelf if I moved the soap powder over a bit but my legs are too stiff to easily lift onto the shelf, lol. Cheryl:-) Haha, mine is not only full of stuff, but has a pipe running right across the front, as well! I stupidly assumed all the houses were plumbed that way, but when I looked after a neighbour’s cats for a few days, and the cat food was under the sink, I noticed theirs was fine - no stupid pipe in the way. Looks like the plumber who did mine had just got back from the pub! T. x Lol Tina, when I was through in the kitchen getting lunch I had a look in the cupboard and ufortunetly it wasnt quite as tidy as I had thought or hoped but no pipes at the front. My plumber obviously hadn’t been to the pub like yours. A tidy of that cupboard might be a job for the afternoon, lol. Cheryl:-)

Well I have a large open plan kitchen and I know people often store cleaning fluids under there sink.However I have a utility room and downstairs toilet and all my cleaning products are stored in there.

As I keep a spotless home and my cupboards junk free there is plenty of leg room under my cupboard,however making this a joke to those in need is not very nice Tina now is it?

Plain and simple if your cupboard is full of junk time to get rid of it so you have leg room.

Or you would prefer your knees to dig into a cupboard door.

Maybe Tina I keep my home spotless as I have OCD,oh yes I line my tins n packets up in my cupboards,also in order of date.Maybe I should put my cleaning products under the sink so a small child can drink them what do you think Tina?

Tina if you actualy clicked the link I posted earlier you would see a bed riser is only about 8 inches wide and a foot high,there for there is plenty of room to get into or out of bed.Clearly you have not got a clue and should read things before making a comment.

Cheryl they are a foot high and about 8 inches wide,they are not very big,it would not stick up above your bed a foot as it is hooked under your matress.Its only a small area that it takes up,its more like a grab rail to haul yourself up or to lay down,a bedside cabinet is not ideal I know my one has tipped over on me.

Tina I am afraid to say I do not think you do not have any manners and what I posted was usfull information for others.

I love my feet being inside my cupboard it is very comfortable.

Charlie,x

I forgot to add a few smile faces.

Sorry had to be a little sick damn throat is restricted LOL

Hiya

I have had a bedrail for several months now and its very useful. Its not like the pic of the one JB posted-its less arched at the top than that-the top is flat and longer.

Its under the mattress and fitted at the very top of the bed so if one sits on edge of bed before getting in then you (or in this case, me!) are several inches away from the top of the bed. *Isnt the written word wonderful as now trying to imagine my butt at very top of bed next to the rail! Sorry, I digress!

They are useful, mine especially for getting back out of the bed as when I am getting into it as often so shattered I just flop in!

It was also suggested that I get a pole at the side of the bed to use-ceiling to floor job- but I declined-can u imagine any (potential!) fella seeing that?! LOL

Ellie x

I wouldnt need to manage my anger if other people could manage their stupidity! (saw that the other day and think its hilarious!)

Tip from my son-If you have something to say then raise your hand…and put it over your mouth!

Ok, I have thought of a few little tips myself, the obvious one is a seat in the shower, so useful, saves me wobbling all over a wet slippery floor. My other one is the hovering. I am not very good with the Hoover and I was always getting it out the cupboard to tidy up little messes in the kitchen, you know crumbs from the toaster, little spills of soap powder or dish washer powder. So a few months ago I got a little hand held vac. It’s ideal for little crumbs and things in the kitchen and saves time and effort getting the big one out . Cheryl:-)

Charyl I am lucky my shower has a bult in seat but a friend in the states due to insurance policies and lots of form filling and in the end they said she could not have a seat for the bath/shower.So she went shopping one day and found a small stool,she can now take a shower or a bath.

Not recommended for safety reasons but she is happy with it.

I have one of those little hoovers somewere.I was going to buy an upright hoover but thought better of it,I prefer my little Cylinder hoover,its light enough to push around the pipe and light enough to take up the stairs.I think I would struggle with an upright.

I have a tip for cleaning.I have tiled floors on most of my floors downstairs,to make the whole room smell nice I ad a tiny drop of linor fabreez fabric softner.It makes the whole downstairs smell fresh,another one is the perspect doors some of us have in the kitchen,the best thing I found to clean them with was a damp clean cloth and shower cleaner,spray,wipe in then buff off with a dry soft cloth,brilliant.

I have one of them long bendy dusters,bright green,saves a lot of stretching.

I want to buy one of them long handled dust pan and brush set.

Keys,how many times do you drop your keys and struggle to pick them up.I have my keys on a chain and it is cliped to my jeans loop and then the keys go in my pocket,you could clip them to your handbag.My wallet is also on a chain and clipped to my jeans,if I drop them they are on a chain no bending down to pick them up.

If you stuggle with zips on coats,jeans,etc I take a length of lace and loop it through the hole on the zip pull,it gives you that extra holding power to pull the zip up or down.

Charlie,x

My tip is to keep two sets of everything, one upstairs one down, eg toothbrush, medication, hairbrush etc. That way you don’t need to struggle back upstairs through the day - really saves on the energy!

Bought two in one shampoo for a holiday recently and it really saved time & effort in shower.

I’ve had a hob & cooker fitted on a ‘rise & fall’ system in my kitchen. I can cook sitting down & the rest of the family can wind back up to full height.

Supermarket food deliveries are great - why does anyone bother to trail round the shop? (Tescos will bring right into your kitchen)

Now that is a good tip of having two of everything.

Tesco has been delivering my shopping for over two years or more now and the guys are brilliant,I even online shop for xmas,new cloths etc BUT I do miss going into a store and trying on things.I find I save money by online shopping,when you go into Tesco you always add a few expensive items or offers into your trolly,now its shop and dont bother searching for the extra items.

Play.com is brilliant everything is FREE delivery.