tingling in body on bending neck

Driving me mad and scary feeling. Everytime i bend my neck or look down i get a,tingling sensation throughout my body. I also have tingling in my right hand . I’ve never really experienced a relapse and its worrying me

hi kirkylou

see your gp so that it gets in your medical records.

phone your ms nurse for advice but i’m sure that you’ll be told that it is a common symptom.

i’ve tingled since the start of my ms.

tingling, buzzing and burning are how i describe my legs.

chin up now, after all some people spend a fortune on illegal drugs to get these strange effects!

carole x

Hi Kirkylou I’ve had 2 episodes of this sensation, each with a relapse. I think it’s called l’hermittes sign. Both times it has cleared after a while. The first time was 7 years ago, prior to my dx, and it really alarmed me. It took about 2 months to go, along with accompanying pins & needles. The second time was this year, when my symptoms have taken about 6 months to fade Please try not to worry. This sensation may very we’ll pass quickly. Maybe steroids would help to clear it more rapidly? Good idea from Carole to contact your ms nurse Best wishes Jane

Hi this is L’Hermittes sign, caused by lesion on cervical sign. I have this usually when I’m having a relapse, if youve never had it before, I would definitely mention it to your MS nurse, as it is a new symptom.

Should read cervical spine, sorry!

Yes, L’hermittes (which I ignored as carrying a lot of tension will have a very similar effect) it can be a tingling feeling to full on electric shocks types of feeling from what I now understand :wink:

Mine was mainly my upper back and sometimes further down, at worst I felt it all the way down to the back of my calves so I can understand why you feel a bit anxious about it

Sonia x

Thank you everyone. I have made an appointment with my MS nurse Im a,bit gutted as since diagnosis 4 yrs ago I’ve never had any relapse or symptoms related to Ms ,so I’ve been in this denial bubble thinking i have been misdiagnosed so reality has finally hit . So this isn’t a sign its getting worse as in progressive ms

HI,

I get this - read about it and think it used to be one of the tests for MS.

I now have constant tingling from toes up to waist. which get worse, stronger if I walk or do exercise.

Hope MS nurse is helpful

Jen x

L’Hermitte’s sign describes electrical buzzing sensations in the limbs and body brought on by movement of the neck. These sensations are known as paraesthesia and include tingling, buzzing, electrical shocks, partial numbness and sharp pains. L’Hermitte’s is most often triggered by lowering the head so that the chin touches the chest. The sensations usually only last for a second or two. It has been called the “barber shop” symptom because it is often evoked when the hairdresser asks you to lower your head when he or she shaves the back of your neck.

L’Hermitte’s is associated with a number of conditions including arthritis, cervical spondylosis, disc compression, pernicious anaemia, tumours and multiple sclerosis. In many cases, the cause cannot be found.

Because the cervical spinal cord is a frequent target for multiple sclerosis it is a very common symptom of MS. Aproximately two thirds of people with multiple sclerosis experience L’Hermitte’s symptom at some point during the course of their disease.

In MS, L’Hermitte’s is an indicator of lesions in the cervical spine (the part of spine in the neck). Movement of the neck causes the damaged nerves (the demyelinated neurons) to be stretched and send erroneous signals. The symptoms can occur anywhere below the neck and many people with MS find that it moves around their body from one day to the next.

Dear Anon

As you are aware anon posting is to protect the identities of people who are uncomfortable posting personal, identifiable posts.

In recent months all of your posts have been anon, for no reason that the Moderators can understand.

We would appreciate it if you would stop doing this. Your posts are often useful but we may have to delete them as abuse of the anon facility.

Liz [ Moderator]

I found acupuncture was a great help as I had a lot more than a tingling, more like an electric shock. After a couple of treatments the symptoms receded and I got my life back. Might be worth a try. Gary

I could not care less about YOU wanting me not to use anon; I think the best idea is if I do not message nil (big loss I don’t think).

FYI If you Google my name a few pages there’s info on my named messages on the site. There is a certain person (family) I do not want to know anything about me and this lets them. There’s too much info about anyone on computers; Big Bothers here.

As Groucho Marx said “I don’t want to join a club who would have me as a member.

Youknowwho (anon)

Of course I know who you are. If there is an issue contact Stewart at the web team and change your username to something less obvious.

Liz

Dear Anon,

The rules we have re: anonymous posting are there for all sorts of reasons and experience has taught us that it’s best left that way.

On another note, it would seem to be a dreadful shame that you would abandon the support, humour and informative nature of this forum on the basis that a family member may take a look here to find out what you’re up to

…so, creating another username- possibly as misleading as you like , seems like a great idea (thanks Liz!).

If you need any help, please get in touch…

Stewart

(admin)

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with MS back in 2013. I have tried a few drugs over the years but currently on Tysabri and getting an infusion every 4 weeks. I am currently off long term sick from work due to my MS. I was hoping to get back to work soon (even though I’m not better) because my pay is going to be dropping to half pay due to being off so long. However I have been getting terrible neck pain for the past 5 weeks. I woke up one morning with the stiffest neck and thought I had maybe slept funny the night before. It was so painful to turn my head left or right or tilt my chin to my chest. I didn’t think for a minute it was my MS. After a few days of being in pain the movement came back to my neck although the pain is still here to this day. When I tilt my chin to my chest it feels really tight at my spine of my neck and it’s like a terrible sharp pain in the spine. It’s very very sore if I prop myself up in bed with a pillow. It seems to be if I put any pressure on my spine the pain is excruciating. Also when I get this pain the sharp pain travels down my right arm. I spoke to my MS nurse about it and she contacted my consultant. I was advised that my doctor thinks it is related to my MS and is sending me for another MRI scan. I was relieved when I heard this as I thought (like most MS sufferers) it was all in my head. However, when I went to get my infusion I advised the nurse of this new pain and that I am waiting to go for a scan. She checked the system and said there was a note on the system to say that I should contact my GP as it doesn’t sound MS related. The nurse advised me that it was a different consultant that put this on the system and not my own consultant. So now I feel like I am losing my mind. I have had a crick in my neck before…and it doesn’t feel like this. Can anyone else share their stories and offer any advice on this? Thanks Laura :relaxed:

Hi

I have just joined the forum looking for any information on my current symptoms and am so happy to have found this thread!!

My history - About 15 years ago I developed a burning sensation down the front of my right leg. I visited my GP and was referred to the neurology department for an MRI scan and Lumber Puncture. I was diagnosed with having two lesions in my cervical spine and as I had no further episodes I was never given a formal MS diagnosis. I was, thankfully, missing the ‘multiple’.

The lesions have left me with weakness in my left leg, arm and hand. I also have constant altered sensations (worms under my skin) in the area surrounding my left hip bone. I have been on a low dose of Pregabalin for several years which make the altered sensations bearable. Apart from the occasional return of the original burning sensation my symptoms have, until recently, remained stable.

For a few months now I have been getting what I would describe as a mild electric shock sensation in my upper right body and arm usually accompanied by my original symptoms of burning down my right leg. These sensations last for several seconds and are sometimes repeated on and off over a period of time. They have also been getting progressively worse. It is now so bad at times that it almost brings me to my knees, the pain is so severe.

I have spoken to my MS Nurse and she referred my back to my GP to get my medication altered. I am now taking amitriptyline along side my Pregabalin. It is early days so we shall see what happens.

I had noticed that the symptoms appeared to come on with certain body movements but I thought I was being ridiculous. After reading this I am certain that it is when I move my head in a certain way that they appear. I think I am displaying Lhermitte’s sign.

I am not sure what this means to me in relation to my condition. Have I had another episode or is it from the original lesions all those years ago? I suppose the only way to tell is to have another MRI scan which my GP is reluctant to do as she feels it wont alter my treatment plan.

Any thoughts, advice or general information would be much appreciated.