This just about sums it up...

Found a poem earlier. It’s a tad depressing but it really resonated with me so I thought I’d share. Yonder See the Morning by A.E.Housman Yonder see the morning blink: The sun is up, and up must I To wash and dress and eat and drink And look at things and talk and think And work, and God knows why. Oh how often have I washed and dressed And what’s to show for all my pain? Let me lie abed and rest: Ten thousand times I’ve done my best And all’s to do again.

yup that ironing will still be there when we have gone.

so i gave up ironing about 20 years ago.

so my clothes are crumpled but at least they match my face!

carole x

It is not hard to tell the difference between A E Houseman and Patience Strong, is it! I have not come across that poem before, but like it very much, thank you. While he does not make a person start the week with a spring in her step, he always tells it like it is, however bleak, and that is strangely comforting - or can be. Alison

I haven’t heard this one before, thanks for sharing. Lx

Hi, whilst I do appreciate a moving and well thought out poem, I do have a worry that someone might take the words as gospel and live by them.

A duvet day now and then is fine…I love them myself, but unless we are feeling ill, perhaps with a lengthy and body shattering relapse, or a really rotten cold/flu, or similar, it is all too easy to get that cant be bothered/whats the point` feeling and have those days too often.

Just my own thoughts, so hope no-one is offended by them.

luv Pollx

Hi Poll - of course, you’re right. I was reading it as permission to have a duvet day rather than anything more long term but reading it again I can see how it could be read in a more defeatist way. Hope I didn’t depress anyone by posting it

Hi Sunflower,I really liked your choice of poem, and didn’t think of it as anything other than musing about a lazy day.I’d heard of A .E. Houseman,but knew nothing about him.A quick Gogle later and the overriding thing about him is that he is regarded as a great academic. He died in 1936 and I don’t think duvet days had been invented by then(Continental Quilt day ?) hence the joy in having a day off.

Days off can become a full time job for some of us and I’d love a day off from myself but it is quite difficult to arrange;who’d want to baby sit whilst I slip away?

You haven’t depressed me and I’ll be looking at Houseman again…Thanks for that,

Wb x

[quote=“pigpen”]

yup that ironing will still be there when we have gone.

so i gave up ironing about 20 years ago.

so my clothes are crumpled but at least they match my face!

carole x

[/quote] Ha ha! Oh Carole - like your ironing attitude! My crumpled face matches my crumpled (unironed) duvet!!