The contraceptive pill- question

Hello all,

I have a question for those who are taking or have taken any kind of contraceptive pill.

It occurred to me today that after having taken the pill for about 7 years (while I have not been very ill with MS) that it could be I haven’t been very ill because the pill has been tricking my body into feeling pregant all the time and as I’m sure you all know, it’s rare for a woman with MS to get ill during pregnancy but they probably will after the birth (or at least that’s what I’ve heard- I don’t have any children my self).

I am contemplating finishing the pill, or at least chaging it, and my question is this- is it likely that I will get ill after coming off the pill? I’m not asking for medical advice, just what your experiences are and what you think.

Thanks very much in advance,

Lion, :slight_smile:

Hi Lion,

It’s great that you have not been that poorly the past seven years, but I very much doubt the pill is the reason.

If it were that easy and that effective to keep MS at bay, I’m sure we’d know by now!

I have found the pill does greatly help with worsening symptoms around the time of the month, so feeling worse one week in four is a possible consequence of stopping.

But I don’t think those hormonally-related spikes in symptoms are genuine relapses, or the same thing as MS “getting worse”. It’s just an unfortunate downside you might notice.

Tina

Hi Tina,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t mean to imply that the pill is a magic bullet!

I have still been ill while taking it but I have noticed that my symtoms have been better since I’ve been taking it. And now I come to think of it I do tend to feel a little worse than would be expected that one week in four.

Anyway, I’m starting to ramble, so thanks for your reply, it’s appreciated,

Lion,

http://www2.mssociety.org.uk/about_ms/womens_health/contraception.html

From what the MSS has to say (link above), it looks as though the jury’s out (or perhaps it is fair to say that the jury does not have enough evidence to consider yet!)

On the face of it, this does look like a potentially fruitful line of enquiry though, doesn’t it?

Alison

x