Forum

Surgery

I have suffered 2 years with gall bladder and had a stone in bile duct 16 months ago removed by endoscopy.I have had PPMS for 11 years and I am 70. I have been told surgery could be risky to remove gall bladder and a risk it will make MS worse.

Has anyone had surgery that has PPMS and about my age of 70? Thank you for any feedback. I am at non walking stage and stand for under a minute holding on.

Hi,

It’s quite a while since I had surgery but in the past I’ve had three ops and while they didn’t seem to noticeably affect my progression I did take months to get over them when in fact it should just have been a few weeks.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

best wishes,

Nina

Hiya

No surgery can ever be 100% safe. Many things increase the risk factors

Other illnesses…add risks

Immobility…increase risk of DVT

Yes, your ms symptoms could get worse following surgery. You may also sail through the surgery without any problems

The hard fact is, you have to look at the facts, ask questions of the doctors and consider the risks. Then make an informed decision.

Good luck

1 Like

The only help I can offer is good luck wishes. The chances are you’ll be fine. But if that isn’t the case you’ll have the support of everyone here :slight_smile: Good luck and be safe

1 Like

Hi, like the others I am younger than you but have had surgery. Unfortunately even something minor like stress can make symptoms worse, and as the others have said, no surgery is without risks. With my last operation the anaesthetist told me that the drugs they sometimes give to paralyze your muscles may cause problems in the short term for people with ms, as we often use muscle spacticity to help movement.

I mentioned this before and someone commented that they don’t paralyze your muscles as you wouldn’t be able to breathe, but this isn’t the case, if you have a general anaesthetic you are ventilated. This paralysis is reversed in healthy people when the operation is over, but in our case it may cause weakness. If your operation is short they may not have to do this but make sure they’re aware of your ms.

Good luck with it and don’t worry, they are highly trained and don’t take unnecessary risks with people’s lives.

Cath x

1 Like

Hi Twoscoots, I had gall bladder surgery (had it removed) about 12 years ago when I was 49. It was before I was dx and even though looking back I realise I’d had mild symptoms for years, at that time I had no idea I was ill.

It seems to me that after the surgery I did start to get more symptoms that finally led to a dx… BUT it’s impossible to say if that would have happened if I hadn’t had surgery.

The thing to consider is that gall bladder problems don’t go away. Mine had been left for some years because of a stupid doctor in the States who told me that a blood test showed that I didn’t have gall stones and she said it was wind!

Back in the UK I was suffering a lot with pain and went to a GP. She said there is no blood test that can tell if you have gall stones!

Anyway, long story short, when they removed my gall bladder they said it was ‘chronically diseased’.

Hard decision for you… but if you are suffering frequently with pain I would go ahead with the surgery. IF you are not suffering badly you need to weigh up the chances of it getting worse. A VERY low fat diet certainly stops the painful episodes.

It’s keyhole surgery as you probably know.

Best of luck with it and come back and let us know how it goes.

Pat xx

1 Like

Younger at 57, PPMS diagnosed a year ago, but had gall bladder out in January this year. Key hole surgery under GA. It went well, BUT after op had no bladder sensation at all and had to stay in overnight as they catheterised me. Still no joy the next day so they sent me home with a catheter I could empty. A week later a District Nurse removed it and everything worked again (what a relief!) however I realised there was an underlying bladder issue that I’m now dealing with.

it has taken me a long time to get over the operation, I was very tired and my mobility definitely suffered, but to know I wasn’t going to suffer the awful pain of gallstones, well worth it!