Summer travels.

Hello everyone.

We’ve just done a week in Dorset-7 hours there and back in the car on heaving grid locked A roads and a few days at my father’s-280 miles of motorway and a pre 6AM start. It’s all over now. Phew. How do we do it? Sheer determination and the support of a loving wife. Plus a DVD player for the little on in the back. (If I hear the Postman Pat tune one more time I will combust.) But it was really good to get away and see some relatives. All hail the loyal spouse. I don’t know what I’d do without her.

Best wishes, Steve.

3 Likes

Hi Steve,

Glad you enjoyed your holiday. Great to get away from everything for a while. Yeah spouses are worth there weight in gold. Don’t know what I would do without my hubby.

Not going on holiday this year but my husband wants to go abroad next year. Not sure if I can handle it what with the travelling and heat but its not all about me is it? I do long for cocktails around the pool again if someone could teleport me there it would be great.

What I would really like if we could afford it is to buy a static caravan and plonk it on a site about an hour away and go there at weekends and holidays. Ah well!!! The lottery might come up.

its lovely and sunny here in Aberdeen.

Mags xx

PS I’m getting sick of that song from frozen.

3 Likes

So pleased you managed to get away Steve!

Yes it’s hard work and very tiring, but it does the soul good & if I had a partner I’d bite the bullet and do it!

As it is, I’m just glad that I did a lot of travelling pre MS. Quite happy not to go away again (but I do wish I had the Star Trek beam machine… if I could be beamed up I’d happily go anywhere!).

Pat xx

2 Likes

I’m full of admiration - a whole week. I’d be out for the count by half way through, being away from my own bed and bathroom. We’ve just had three nights away in North Norfolk for Ruth’s 60th, and she had a great time, her brother & sister in law plus our two oldest and best friends were with us, so it was a success but it was an endurance test for me.

All hail the spouse indeed!

1 Like

pleased you managed to get away,we havent been away for quite a while now,the thought of it just wears me out, i have told my partner to book a golf holiday but he doesnt want to go on his own,wish he would though,he would be a nice break for him,

like the others if i could be ‘beamed up’ i would go lol.

J x

1 Like

My Mum and I took my Granddaughter (4 next month) on a coach trip last weekend, I booked the front seats so she had something more than the back of the seat in front to look at, we spent the four hour ride spotting yellow cars, green cars, tractors and cranes while ducking under every bridge we drove under. We also played I spy and sang we’re all going to the zoo tomorrow. We may have annoyed a few people but they’d have been more annoyed at a bored and fractious little girl.

If it wasn’t for my Mum my Granddaughter would miss out on these little trips because while I can still manage on my own I wouldn’t feel confident of coping with all the situations that could arise with such a young child in tow. It gets easier the older she gets as she usually does as she is told but she pushes her luck sometimes, my mum at 84 can still run after her if she wanders whereas I can’t.

Happy holidays everyone.

Jan x

2 Likes

Jan … sounds like you had fun,i would love to take my little grandaughter out for the day,shes 3 in january but shes very hyperactive,she wears me out just watching her,i arent allowed to be on my own with her,shes just too quick for me, people with good health find her hard work,so theres no chance for me.

J x

2 Likes

I’m lucky in that when she was born I was still able to do everything necessary to look after her, my MS has declined along side her ability to doings for herself e.g she gets herself on and off the loo whereas I would find it extremely difficult to lift her on and off. She is now starting to understand that Grandma can’t do everything her Mam and Dad do. My great sadness is I can’t have my other Granddaughter (8 months) stay over or even look after for any length of time as I can’t carry her or even hold her for any length of time and she is more demanding than her sister ever was.

Under threes are a nightmare, I took mine to a panto last December, she loved it although I worried she was too young (I also took her parents so I had all the fun without the responsibility) perhaps when she’s older you will be able to take her for little trips out.

Jan x

2 Likes

When we used to travel with my daughter - at about 3yrs old - she insisted on having Thomas the Tank Engine on - a lovely jaunty tune for the first couple of hours - but then it did get a bit wearing. Funnily enough, it was a clue on a quiz programme yesterday afternoon. Liverpool - then Thomas - by then l had already guessed it - having listened to Ringo Starr narrating Thomas the Tank.

l shall be humming the tune all day now.

2 Likes

Ah ha! Someone else who watches The Link!

It’s good isn’t it? One of my favourites… and followed by Escape To The Country which I also like. Love looking around other people’s houses!

Pat xx

1 Like

You and me both Pat, although sometimes I am struggling to stay awake.

Don’t you just hate it when the “hit the brick wall” thing happens when you are trying to enjoy a programme, hey ho.

Pam x

1 Like

Yes hate it Pam! Makes me feel very very old… nodding off in front of the telly!

Then of course we go to bed, get comfy, close our eyes… and suddenly wide awake!!!

Pat xx

1 Like

Hi Pat

Fell asleep before the end of the link today and didnt wake up until the middle of escape to the country. The thing is ill go to my bed and sleep straight away. I seem to spend most of my life sleeping. I even manage to get up twice through the night to the loo and back to my bed and go straight back to sleep.

Mags xx

1 Like

Not fun sleeping so much Mags… but it’s a whole load better than not sleeping… and if your body needs it I think it’s best not to fight it.

When I get up in the night for the loo I can never go and have to sit there saying ‘psss psss psss’… to make myself go… but now a little pussy cat comes through & I have to make a fuss of him as he thinks I am calling him!

Hey ho…

Pat xx

I am not really complaining as I love my sleep. No it’s more like when I was younger I used to tease my mother because she was exactly the same. Now I am turning into her. Lol!

Mags xx

1 Like

I enjoy the Link too but keep forgetting to put it on!

Mags, I will swap you some sleep for some not sleeping! Night before last it was 5.30 am before I got off and the moon turns blue if I sleep for more than two hours at a time!!

Nina xx

2 Likes

Steve, I think we must still have gremlins…I replied to your post the other day and I notice today it’s nowhere to be seen!

glad you had a good time! Like Pat my traveling days are over but I did a lot of traveling pre MS and in the early days!

I will start again when Scottie returns to beam me up!

take care all,

Nina z

2 Likes

I’m not complaining Nina, I know I’m lucky to be able to get so much sleep. I really am very tetchy on the odd occasion I can’t sleep. No use to anyone.

Its our wedding anniversary today 37 years. That’s another thing to feel lucky for, my lovely husband. ( well most of the time)

Mags xx

1 Like

Congratulations Mags!

I am the same…lucky to have a very good and kind husband…most of the time !

We also celebrated thirty eight years in July…I think it’s thirty eight…I need to dig out the photos to check the dates!!

Take care,

Nina xx

2 Likes

Hello again.

I also did a lot of travel before MS. I couldn’t do it now without my wife’s support so I’m very grateful. My challenge now is to get to as many places on my Tramper. It’s a real effort to actually get through the door but whether it’s finding new routes in my home town or sticking it on the trailer and going elsewhere, the bug is still there. You can’t beat the feeing of getting back home though.

Best wishes, Steve.

2 Likes