Forum

stressed

As my name suggests I should be a grandma in the next week or two. I am feeling quite anxious as my daughter wants me to be with her and her husband when she’s in labour. The problem is that I’m really not feeling well lately, my fatigue is worse than ever as is my pain. I was dx with fibromyalgia about 10 years ago and recently with osteoarthritis in both knees. I have to walk with a stick because my balance isn’t great and after about 5 minutes walking I’m in horrible pain. I’m also depressed mainly because of pain and fatigue and because I hate not being the person I used to be. This time last year I was 3 stone lighter and walking 3 miles a day with my dog. Now a 10 minute crawl has me knocked out for an hour!

My daughter teaches visually impared children and will return to work 9 months after the baby is born. I’m stressing now as I said (before I became this ill) that I would mind the baby 2 days a week, her mother in law has offered 1 day a week. I try to downplay my symptoms to her as I don’t want her worrying about me, but I’m worried that I won’t be physically able to do as much as I want to.

I haven’t even seen my doctor about MS as I don’t want her to think that I’m a hypochondriac. I’m really struggling with pain right round my ribcage at the moment.

Sorry, I’m a bit confused. You haven’t seen a neuro? If that’s the case, then I really think you should. Apart from being able to tell your daughter that your worsening health is being investigated, it may help to reduce your stress by 1) taking away the pressure to pretend and 2) not knowing for sure what’s wrong. And, tbh, you are going to have to come clean. If your daughter is expecting you to childmind and you can’t, you can’t spring it on her at the last minute - she will need time to work out alternatives. I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t already suspect that all is not well. It may even be a relief for her to find out that it’s not more serious - although you can only tell her that if you’ve seen a doctor and they’ve confirmed it! Please make an appointment today. It could even be something treatable! Karen x

No. 2 shouldn’t have a “not” in it!

Agreed, what your feeling isnt pretend and it could be a million things all treatable, get to the quacks see a nuro.