Steroids

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing as well as expected.

My friend (also with ms) has been prescribed PREDNISOLONE steroids (5ml and is taking 8 per day).

I wonder if you have any experience of these, I have taken steroids myself but can’t remember which ones I was prescribed. I do know that there were some steroids that worked better than others.

Best wishes

Wendy x

Hi Wendy

Prednisolone (also known as Medrol) is the oral steroid prescribed for an MS relapse. It’s usually been given to me as 5 X 100mg per day for 5 days, although some people have had other dosages, ie. a dose that tapers off slowly.

Other than these and IV steroids (that are also Prednisolone 3 days X 1000mg) I’ve not had any others.

Maybe some other people have tried different steroids?

Sue

Thank you for the reply Sue

It does sound like she’s getting the correct steroids, it’s just that I was given one kind of steroids from my doctor that my ms nurse said can actually make things worse, I think they did.

Our ms nurses have been in short supply and we’ve been asked to contact our doctors; doctors don’t always know which steroids to give.

The steroids that were issued from my Neuro were a much higher dose than those given to me by the doctor.

Wendy x

I’ve been prescribed Prednisolone 25mg x2 for 14 days plus 1 week tapering dose. How many days are you taking 8 x 5mg for?

Thank you for the reply johnh.

The person I’m writing about was prescribed 5ml x 8 for 7 days.