Starting a new job (scary)

Been off the tools for 4 months now. Took a job, it starts on sunday. Im a spark.

Really trying to hold it together but im scared shi*less of what i might find.

The job is down in birmingham(im from glasgow) and is somewhat outside my areas of expertise but tough times in construction means people have to “adapt”

Symptom wise i suffer from slight dizziness/ lack of coordination, think my confidence has took the biggest hit. i worry that if i fail to manage it will be a massive psychological blow, one that i could do without

Just really lookin for advice, trying not to stress out

Hi hun. Well done you for making such an effort to get back to work…and soooooooo far from home too!

I hope your new employers are understanding.

Take the change of daily life carefully, eh?

luv Pollx

I hope i dont have to tell the new employers anythin about the MS, i dont like talking about it.

I feel it’l hurt me if i cant do it, but at the same time if i dont try then it will hurt me just the same.

Feeling the pressure here, its kinda make or break this job

You deserve a gold medal Raymond !!!

Good luck hon. Just do your best. If you can’t manage it, it’s not failure. Take a lead from those athlete’s in Olympics. Give it their best but not everyone can win the medals.

Hard to say if you should tell them. You are protected by the Disability Equalities Act so they can’t actually sack you because of MS… but I totally understand your reluctance to tell them. See how it goes eh?

Will be thinking of you. Try and find time to let us know how you’re doing,

Pat x

thanks pat :slight_smile: I know that staying relaxed is vital to making this happening but its just so tense with so much on the line.

If i can manage going back to work it’ll really pick me up, i cant even tell you how happy that would make me.

MS can have that positive effect in that you wont take these things for granted ever again. These days i dont like to hear when people talk about how they hate their job etc

They dont know how much a simple thing like going to work can mean, I feel lucky that i can even attempt to go back and deeply saddened that there is people with ms that wont get that chance

I returned to work after a long break (not related to MS) and it was rather daunting. However, I just took (take) one day at a time and find that things have worked out well. Because I have obvious mobility problems (am quite doddery) people give me some help but in general I just get on with things. It is rather nice to have a whole new area of interest and to be paid for my efforts as in the past I’ve done a lot in a voluntary capacity, some of which I still do.

It would be a shame not to be able to carry on in your job, for the sake of asking for a little assistance or reduced hours. I hope you manage well and good on you for making the effort, with the long journey it will entail.

Good luck

B x

think part of the problem is psychological.

this whole episode in my life of having MS and dealing with it has made me question wether or not im still as smart as i was.

This past day ive been goin over old college stuff related to the job because i feel like im not remembering how to certain things. I dont know if its stress or a genuine cognitive problem.

I also think that once a person suspects a problem with memory or cognition then they tend to pay more attention to themselves, maybe too much attention and i wonder if this is playing a part here.

i’ll be working with another boy whos done this sort of stuff before so hopefully he can help me.

The hard part is not knowing wheres the problem. Is it me? am i the one creating the problem by worrying about it? overthinking? Or… is it the MS? Who knows

MS is suck a mindf*cker

Raymond, my son has just started working in a kitchen after nearly 2 years without work. He has learning difficulties and was just as wary and nervous as you are now.

I told him to just do his best and if he couldnt cope to tell his supervisor and ask for help.

Im sure if you pace, take it slowly at first, then ask for help should you need it, once your part of the team youll fit in perfectly. As they get to know you, theyll then accept any breaks you may need in order to charge your batteries. I think your underestimating your capabilities.

I wish you good luck and happy working again (:o)

bren

x

Hi Raymond, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, you are paying too much attention to it. Actually not everyone gets cognitive problems with MS and certainly not as newly diagnosed as you are. You might NEVER get cog problems.

Yes if you put the spotlight on yourself you’ll notice all sorts of things that aren’t 100% perfect… but anyone, absolutely anyone could say the same. Think of it like this, if you had been diagnosed years ago, before there was internet, and nobody told you that it can (sometimes) lead to cognitive problems, would you have ever thought that you had a cognitive problem? The answer I’m sure is NO!

So yes Raymond you are overthinking. Relax. Lots and lots of people work with MS. Lots of people work for years and years… their whole working life… with MS. It’s not possible for everyone but that doesn’t mean it won’t be for you.

And even if some point in the future you won’t be able to work, that doesn’t mean that you aren’t now.

Relax. Deep breaths. Give the job a go. You are not being asked to be President of the USA. You are going to a job that you basically know and will be working with a boy who knows it well.

Give yourself a break Raymond. And I think when you start work you won’t have time to overthink your MS to this degree! And I bet you’ll feel a whole lot better… and especially when you’re in the pub after work enjoying a pint!

Thinking of you hon,

Pat x

:slight_smile: yes i think yous are right

i realise it is normal to feel a bit of pressure considering the circumstances, reckon i will feel better once ive got a few shifts under my belt, just need to bare these thoughts that roll around in my head until then.