stairlift

Hi Julie, this is a great place to have a rant ask for advice & share experiences which tends to calm my mood swings and times when I feel sorry for myself.

O.T have recommended the same for me or level access housing, I’ve called mine back out now for the 3rd time as ive changed my mind for the second time on adaptions! Your daughter has the right to request what she feels she needs, not being listened to will only add to her low mood.

I wish her all the best and do hope she takes the plunge to share on here.

Pauline xx

1 Like

Julie, I am in a wheelchair, but I still use a stairlift. It does mean having two chairs, my ‘good one’ for downstairs and going out, and a real cheapo for upstairs. OK it’s an effort getting onto the stairlift at the bottom but I like to do it, part of the ‘use it or lose it’ theory. At the top I do have to have help; we use a rotastand to get me off the stairlift and onto my upstairs chair, and vice versa.

My OT is happy with this. We have been urged towards getting a wheelchair lift put in by the architect who helped us sort out some alterations to the house upstairs to make that transfer and the general use of the wheelchair easier, but even so, the final say is most definitely mine.

So we do have the plans in place for where the wheelchair lift would go if I finally need it, but for now I prefer to battle on without it, I’m sure it’s better for me.

1 Like

Julie I can mirror exactly what Kev has written so wont say the same over again. My OT explained it to me as with limited resources they would want/prefer to go for worst case scenario that I would need through floor so they dont pay out twice once for stairlift and then for a lift. As I have said I am in wheelchair and cope with stairlift. I have had PPMS for over twenty years. Give her a hug from Margate

Don XXX

Hi Julie. I’m fortunate in that my OT is lovely but you can put your foot down. I was given a grant for a new disabled loo and she wanted to change my bathroom into a wet room at the same time, removing my bath, but I rejected it. I wanted to keep the bath as my daughter enjoys it. They told me that I would struggle and probably not get funding to do this at a later stage but I accepted that and I’m glad I did as I’ve had the odd day when I’ve been strong enough to get in and out of my bath and really enjoyed my soak.

It is her decision, she has to live with it and it makes me so angry when they take it for granted that we’ll all end up in wheelchairs and unable to do anything for ourselves. We all do have our own personal worries and don’t need anyone else sharing their negative views with us when we know how we manage from day to day and what we can and can’t manage. It makes my blood boil. My surgeon said I should have been in a wheelchair and almost paralysed years ago but I’m still mobile with a stick or crutches (some days worse than others admittedly) so nobody can tell you what you are or aren’t able to do.

Rant over, sorry. I hope your daughter does pop in, there are lovely people on here who could offer her support.

Cath x

Well just had OT manager on the phone its a definate NO to the stairlfit through the floor lift it has to be or nothing at all. How can I apply for her one through the MS society can anyone help me, I havent told Janine yet she will be so upset. x

click on the support tab at the top left hand of this page, then click on benefits,then click on grants is will tell you how to apply for an ms society grant,if you cant get it up on the page just ring the helpline freefone0808 800 8000 and they will tell you how to apply.

Julie66 I must say I am not surprised but I did get one myself after a couple of visits from various OT Type people Tell Janine not to let it get her down. My own experiences with the OT’s for my own situation has been fantastic. the trouble is they are working to ever diminishing budgets my last work was done as a charge against the house repayable upon my demise

Don

PS tell Janine to come on and say hi