Sore scalp symptom?

Hi

Sometimes at top of my head my scalp feels sore to touch, like it has been bruised from my hair being pulled or from wearing it tied up too tight with a bobble. Has anyone experienced this as a MS symptom?

Thanks

CD

1 Like

Hi cough drops Iā€™ve experienced this from time to time, luckily it goes quite quickly Canā€™t think of any advice really, hope it fades away soon X

Thanks Hope. Itā€™s not too painful, and seems to be easing off now.

Itā€™s a new one for my list!

Yep, Iā€™ve had it. It was the first time I heard the classic line from my GP, ā€œWell, it canā€™t be MS, but I donā€™t know what else it could be.ā€ Hmm. Helpfulā€¦ not! Also wrong! Branches of the occipital and trigeminal nerves are in charge of scalp sensations and they can go wrong there just like they can go wrong in other places.

That same GP now says, ā€œYou know more about it than meā€ which is equally as unhelpful - if I knew, why would I be there?!

My sore scalp went after a few weeks. I hope yours does too (or sooner!).

Karen x

Hi there,

Polly Tar is a very good hair shampoo to use when your scalp is sore. Severe pulled back hair in a pony tail can make it worse.

Some nice hair combs can look just as good with no strain on the scalp.

Good luck,

Jane x

Hi, yes I get this from time to time and also sometimes intense itching which drives me insane.

Thanks everyone.

I initially thought maybe I had pulled my hair, or had been a bit too vigourous with the old straighteners, it was only after a day or so I copped that it might be a symptom. Iā€™ve had it before, again I never thought it was anything other than being too hard with my brush. Itā€™s not too painful, or constant, more annoying when I touch it, so I can manage it fine.

And, obviously I am touching it more to see if itā€™s still sore

Iā€™ve a few symptoms flaring up at the moment, so I am putting it all down to generally feeling a bit poo.

Thanks again for the feedback, appreciate it!

CD

Hi coughdrops,

I have had this - years ago, before I was dx with MS.

The doctor said it was something like ā€˜trigeminal neuralgiaā€™, and it would go without treatment.

It did, about a week later,

I have the odd day now where my scalp is tender, and I put it down to my MS.

Hope you feel better soon. X

Yes, I get this too. Mine is especially sore today as I am just recovering from a 3 day migraine and having lain in bed for much of the past 3 days my hair needed washing so it was done very gently as I couldnā€™t bear to touch my scalp. My scalp also itches sometimes for no good reason and it drives me insane!

My son says I shouldnā€™t complain about it as he has psoriasis and he knows what an itchy, sore scalp really is, lol! You see, we all have our cross to bear. We often joke that we should swap conditions and live in each otherā€™s shoes for a day or two to have some understanding ā€¦

Tracey

Yes, I get this too. Mine is especially sore today as I am just recovering from a 3 day migraine and having lain in bed for much of the past 3 days my hair needed washing so it was done very gently as I couldnā€™t bear to touch my scalp. My scalp also itches sometimes for no good reason and it drives me insane!

My son says I shouldnā€™t complain about it as he has psoriasis and he knows what an itchy, sore scalp really is, lol! You see, we all have our cross to bear. We often joke that we should swap conditions and live in each otherā€™s shoes for a day or two to have some understanding ā€¦

Tracey