slow vision

Hi,just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced the feeling that you are seeing everything in slow motion/with a time delay?

I often feel that, as I turn my head, especially to the left, my vision is actually a few seconds behind. This makes me feel quite dizzy for a few seconds but sometimes it lasts longer, to the point that I’ve needed to have a sleep for half an hour or so just to “reset” my head. Other times the dizziness just doesn’t go and I’ve had to be taken home from work as can’t even walk properly.

Have had audiology testing and balance is perfect although you wouldn’t believe it if you saw me sometimes! I have noticed that symmetrical patterns give me the same feeling, which can make for tricky times occasionally when you can’t have a conversation with a person because their striped shirt means that you have to stare at the top of their head in an effort to stay upright! :-l

Have consultant appt v soon so will mention it. Just wondered if I was alone on this one

hi nicci,

i’m another person with visual ‘issues’, i’ve had sight problems/weirdness ever since having optic neuritis in 2007. it’s really hard to describe, the best way to explain it is that when i move my left eye from side to side, i get a kind of strobing light effect in the centre of my sight (left side), but it’s like it’s all my brain is processing, when my eyes are still, i’m really aware of my left eye’s peripheral vision. it’s all but bu99ered my ability to read text that isn’t lit up, or huge when it’s not lit. perversely i’m ok with a keyboard. try googling the word ‘phosphenes + MS’, that’s the only thing i’ve found that goes any way to describing my side effect. it really affects my balance, particularly when i’m in bright light. another really odd effect is that when something moves, fairly quickly or faster, sideways across my field of vision, i tend to move with it. not great to cross a road with.

sorry i can’t give any directly helpful info, ms is an unpredictable and, at times, very bizarre condition (understatement of the century).

hope you get some useful info/help from your consultant,

wendy x

Hi Nicci

i get what you describe,infact i have found it hard to describe,but you have put it into words for me,

i got it really bad in a relapse a few years ago,and its never really left me,it doesnt happen all the time,it comes and goes the same as other weird symptoms, i never mentioned it to the neuro,maybe i should have.

J x

Thanks for your comments, it’s amazing how similar but varied everyone’s symptoms are.

It’s almost a year since my dx and I find it really hard to describe some of the things that are happening to me too. Getting a bit dizzy every so often doesn’t sound much when you explain it, but it makes a huge impact. It can happen just once or twice a day, or pretty much every time I turn my head sideways or look up or down. Not good.

I try really hard not to show how these spells are affecting me at work and at home ( I can cope with anything right?!!) but it’s not easy and I find it exhausting. It frustrates me when simple tasks are so affected and I hate “giving in” and admitting that I can’t cope with it. Think I’m trying to prove that ms isn’t affecting me but who am I kidding. In my head it feels that by admitting this is a real problem is stepping onto a slippery slope that I don’t want to be on.

Will have to see what Neuro appt brings.

Take care

N x

I’ve recently( well during this relapse) had weird vision. Yes, slow motion, definately and elongation of things. For example, I saw a pigeon fly over our garden and I said to my husband ‘oh look, it’s a duck flying over’, and it was a pigeon ! At it’s worst it’s quite frightening as it’s like living in a funhouse with all not as it appears to be. I’ve had the weirdest hang over type sensation ever since.:s x

I thought it was just me and another of my odd symptoms. I’ve not bothered adding this to the list I’ve mentioned to my GP. I get the distinct impression she thinks I’m making them up!

I thought it was just me and another of my odd symptoms. I’ve not bothered adding this to the list I’ve mentioned to my GP. I get the distinct impression she thinks I’m making them up!

Well described, thanks for posting this.

I get the same thing and also my focus is very slow to “reset” meaning I see things in a blur for a few seconds while my eyes sort themselves out

I have told my optician but will not bother to tell gp probably…more or less given up mentioning vast array of strange things after watching gp,s own eye,s glaze over when I start on my list.

No I can.t really change gp.s as we are very rurally based and it is too costly for taxi to surgery now let alone going further afield.

I get exactly the same and I am getting really frustrated with it. I’ve been off work for 2 months due to a relapse. I have had steroids and am much better than I was but I am left with slow / jumpy / double vision. It is preventing me from doing things and I have realised that I am constantly looking at the floor to prevent myself from seeing too much which i cant cope with. I was wondering if there was any medication / help to stop this from happening. It is also casuing headaches. I want to get back to work (community nurse) but I cant until this vision settles down.

Thanks for the brilliant description - it is exactly what I feel.

I get exactly the same and I am getting really frustrated with it. I’ve been off work for 2 months due to a relapse. I have had steroids and am much better than I was but I am left with slow / jumpy / double vision. It is preventing me from doing things and I have realised that I am constantly looking at the floor to prevent myself from seeing too much which i cant cope with. I was wondering if there was any medication / help to stop this from happening. It is also casuing headaches. I want to get back to work (community nurse) but I cant until this vision settles down.

Thanks for the brilliant description - it is exactly what I feel.